AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5K members online now
5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Does bounce rate and session duration affect landing page experience?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

On the Understanding landing page experience, it lists three factors:

1. Relevant, useful and original content
  2. Transparency and trustworthiness
  3. Ease of navigation

I would like to further understand details behind these three points. My assumption is that bounce rate, average session duration, and whether your website is flat design are other factors of landing page experience. 

Can someone please correct me or give me more information about how does Google, as an algorithm system, evaluate landing page experience?

Many thanks,

Hung-Hsun Huang

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hung-Hsun H
September 2015

Re: Does bounce rate and session duration affect landing page experien

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

There is no definite guide which would give you insights on which specific metrics are important while calculating the landing page experience. But since you talked about, it is important to understand that all the metrics that you mentioned are equally important for best customer experience.

Let's say you have a website and most of the pages have high Bounce Rate i.e. 100%. Also average session duration is 00:00:00.So do you think that those pages are serving any interesting information to the users. No.

It simply means that users are reaching the page and are not finding necessary information. That's why they are leaving as soon as they are reaching. 

Google AdWords is all about providing best user experience online. If that's not serving, you are missing something.

I would definitely encourage you to measure all these metrics and take immediate action to see what your users are missing in terms of content, offers etc...on the website. If you are able to control Bounce Rate, average session duration would automatically improve.

See this video from Google Evangelist Avinash Kaushik in terms of Bounce Rate:

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hung-Hsun H
September 2015

Re: Does bounce rate and session duration affect landing page experien

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

There is no definite guide which would give you insights on which specific metrics are important while calculating the landing page experience. But since you talked about, it is important to understand that all the metrics that you mentioned are equally important for best customer experience.

Let's say you have a website and most of the pages have high Bounce Rate i.e. 100%. Also average session duration is 00:00:00.So do you think that those pages are serving any interesting information to the users. No.

It simply means that users are reaching the page and are not finding necessary information. That's why they are leaving as soon as they are reaching. 

Google AdWords is all about providing best user experience online. If that's not serving, you are missing something.

I would definitely encourage you to measure all these metrics and take immediate action to see what your users are missing in terms of content, offers etc...on the website. If you are able to control Bounce Rate, average session duration would automatically improve.

See this video from Google Evangelist Avinash Kaushik in terms of Bounce Rate:

Hope this helps!

Pankaj