AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Does Using Local Extentsions Make Sense In This Scenario?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Let's say you are advertising a local business where 80% of their customers are going to do business with them purely over the Internet (email exchange of documents/signatures) or in-person at the customers location. Let's say this business offers services confined to customers in a large county (say the county measures 40 miles across N/S & E/W). The business has two physical addresses but they are essentially just rental offices in two cities 7 miles apart (on either side of a large lake)

It seems using Adwords location extension, at least on the surface, makes sense. But since the business has physical location in only a small area of the total service area, wouldn't location potentially due more harm than good by showing on the map that the physical locations of the business are not close to many customers living in the area the business still does serve?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does Using Local Extentsions Make Sense In This Scenario?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for posting! There's no right or wrong answer here. Like you pointed out, location extensions are great for getting more real estate on the search page and boosting click-through-rate, but you also don't want to give potential customers the wrong impression about the business's reach.
If the business type is such that you think most people would understand that their reach is much greater than the few miles around their locations, I think it's worth testing the extensions.

If anyone has other thoughts, feel free to chime in!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I believe in the Google+ Places account, there's an option to make it so the Google+ listing doesn't show a specific address, only City.  This is obviously for businesses where one might be working out of their home and they don't want customers showing up un-announced, or the business address might be a shared rental office space.

If the Awords location extension follows the same rules of not displaying the specific address, it would seem to me it can't hurt.  Guess I just need to try?

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Jeff,

The AdWords location extensions pull data directly from Google My Business (i.e. the Google+ page), so while you will not be able to edit the content of the extension in AdWords itself, it will reflect the information you choose to share in Google My Business.

Cassie