AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Does Phrase Match allow for Word Order BUT no extra words?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I want to bid on keyword: cool red widgets

I want this keyword to match for all 6 word-order variations:

cool red widgets

cool widgets red

red cool widgets

red widgets cool

widgets cool red

widgets red cool

If I set cool red widgets as phrase match, would all 6 variations match out? I've been given conflicting answers from Google directly.

Thanks for the help.

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex K
September 2015

Re: Does Phrase Match allow for Word Order BUT no extra words?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Alex,

Word order is an important feature for phrase match types. If you set "cool red widget" as phrase match, your ads will trigger only when a search query has the term "cool red widget" in this exact order.

So you have to include all your variations in phrase match after understanding the order of the words that your users can type when they are searching for the service or product. 

I guess if you use +cool +red +widget I.e in modified broad, it can solve your problem.

Thanks

Aritra

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Alex,

Word order remain exactly same when you use phrase and exact match match type. Word order shuffle only when you use BMM. Few examples for better understanding:

BMM: +cool +red +widget

Can trigger following queries

cool red widgets online

online cool red widgets

cool red widgets

red cool widgets

red cool widgets online

Phrase Match: "cool red widget"

buy cool red widgets - if keyword matching option is enable under campaign settings

cool red widgets- if keyword matching option is enable under campaign settings

cool red widget

buy cool red widget

cool red widgets online

Exact Match: [cool red widget]

[cool red widget]

[cool red widgets] - if keyword matching option is enable under campaign settings

Hope above answers you quey. If it doesn't Please let us know.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Alex,

Word order is an important feature for phrase match types. If you set "cool red widget" as phrase match, your ads will trigger only when a search query has the term "cool red widget" in this exact order.

So you have to include all your variations in phrase match after understanding the order of the words that your users can type when they are searching for the service or product. 

I guess if you use +cool +red +widget I.e in modified broad, it can solve your problem.

Thanks

Aritra

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Aritra,

I had a Google rep tell me what you're telling me, but then he said he would double check and later told me that phrase match will match out for all word-order variations as long as there are no other words in the middle of the phrase.

This is what I'm trying to verify.

But.... what I'm really after here is an exact match that allows for word order variations. I want to set keyword cool red widgets to a match type that doesn't let any other words through (exact match) but lets the word order vary. I know Google updated their exact match type and now the default option is that exact match will match for plurals and close variations. Does word order qualify as this variation?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Alex,

Word order remain exactly same when you use phrase and exact match match type. Word order shuffle only when you use BMM. Few examples for better understanding:

BMM: +cool +red +widget

cool red widgets online

online cool red widgets

cool red widgets

red cool widgets

red cool widgets online

Phrase Match: "cool red widget"

buy cool red widgets - if keyword matching option is enable under campaign settings

cool red widgets- if keyword matching option is enable under campaign settings

cool red widget

buy cool red widget

cool red widgets online

Exact Match: [cool red widget]

[cool red widget]

[cool red widgets] - if keyword matching option is enable under campaign settings

Hope above answers you quey. If it doesn't Please let us know.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Alex

If you use exact match, your ads will trigger for close variations of the exact match, order of the words being the same and no extra words.

Thanks

Aritra Mukherjee

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Neha,

Thanks for the reply.

So if I want to capture all word-shuffled variations for cool red widgets but I want to limit to only these queries and not allow for any other terms, then the only way to do this would be to set each vatiation as exact match?

Google should have an exact match modified option imo - EMM!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Alex,

Yes. you are right! Exact match is the answer.

EMM Smiley Happy may be in future we see this too Smiley Happy

Thanks
Neha

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Alex,

Two solutions for your requirement.

Solution1:

Using BMM and Adding All Possible Negative Keywords (Quick)

Solution 2:

As suggested in previous answers, Using Exact Match Keywords (Straight Forward)

Wishing Google will provide Exact match Modifiers soon!

--

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
If you want to limit the search terms to the different variations of the three words - and only the three words - then you must add all the variants as exact matches - the next question, however, must be - why would you want to limit this quite so much?

If someone searches for "cheap cool red widgets" - why would you not want to trigger your ad for that person?

I understand how a single or two word keyword can lead to some obscure searches (although maybe not as many for them to become a problem), but as the word count increases so the wastage drops... as do the search queries that will trigger the ads.

In my opinion, BMM is far better than phrase match - I rarely use phrase match with new campaigns - and I also rarely use broad match... for me it is generally BMM and exact.