AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Does Adding Mobile Option Decrease Desktop Traffic?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am confused when adding the "mobile checkbox" option to my ads. I do not want to lose desktop traffic. I want to retain all previous desktop traffic and add mobile traffic. Any thoughts?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does Adding Mobile Option Decrease Desktop Traffic?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

First, unless you set your mobile bid modifier to -100% on your original campaign, it was probably serving both desktop and mobile traffic. You can find out what traffic you were serving by selecting the Segment button and choosing the Device option.

That's where you need to start--figuring out what you've been serving so far.

If you've had your mobile bid modifier set at -100%, you'll need to change that to allow the campaign to serve mobile traffic.  Then, if your campaign is currently spending your current daily budget for clicks on desktops, you'll need to increase your daily budget to allow some 'extra' money to be available for mobile clicks.

In truth, though, you can control the cost of your clicks, but you can't really control what device your ads are triggered on. (Not simply, anyhow. There are some things you can do by setting up a second campaign and making clever budget & bid adjustments, but I don't want to confuse you. I'd recommend you try the simple approach, outlined above, first.)

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Re: Does Adding Mobile Option Decrease Desktop Traffic?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Barry

If you tick the mobile checkbox while creating the ad copies, then it will help the Adwords system to identify which ad copy you want to display on mobile devices. If you have enabled the mobile devices and added a mobile ticked ad copy then most probably Adwords system will show that ad copy on mobile devices.

Hope this helps!

Abhishek