AdWords
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Do you recommend creating an ad group in each campaign for competitor names?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've read that the #1 mistake people make is "not grouping keywords correctly". Many articles recommended that within each campaign, we break down our ads and keywords into ad groups. Our campaigns are currently separated by location. Within our campaigns, we do have ad groups, which are separated by product.

Do you recommend grouping them further? For example, if I have an ad group named "Sneakers" should I break that down into smaller ad groups like "Basketball Sneakers", "Running Sneakers" & etc? Also, should I create an ad group in each campaign for competitors? Any feedback would be appreciated!! 

Do you recommend separating competitor brands into individual Ad groups?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've read that the #1 mistake people make is "not grouping keywords correctly". Many articles recommended that within each campaign, we break down our ads and keywords into ad groups. Our campaigns are currently separated by location. Within our campaigns, we do have ad groups, which are separated by product.

Do you recommend grouping them further? For example, if I have an ad group named "Sneakers" should I break that down into smaller ad groups like "Basketball Sneakers", "Running Sneakers" & etc? Also, should I create an ad group in each campaign for competitors? Any feedback would be appreciated!! 

Re: Do you recommend creating an ad group in each campaign for competitor names?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@Samantha H,

Think of it like this, if you have multiple types of products or services that you are trying to promote, wouldn't you want to promote it to the users that were more interested in them specifically? I personally am searching for "Athletic Shoes" but only for sports that I play like Volleyball and Soccer. If you were to group all athletic shoes keywords then you would also be promoting (if applicable) basketball shoes, running shoes, and baseball shoes to some of my search queries. Which, more than likely, wouldn't result in a conversion.

So the answer is most definitely, YES. If you have multiple products that spark different users interests then adding individual ad groups per product would ensure that you are targeting the specific demographic within your campaigns. The Ad Content and Keywords should be slightly different with all of your athletic shoes so separating them individually will allow you to target more direct using "phrase match" and "exact match" keywords while catering your content to be more descriptive. Also, this opens the door for you to utilize dynamic keyword insertion more effectively. Learn More About: Keyword Insertion

Hope this reinforces your instincts!

Happy Advertising Smiley Happy

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

"Grouping keywords" is entirely up to you. I'm sure the way I do things is "wrong" according to best practices, because I don't rely on estimate tools to build out an account. What I would be asking myself is what makes the most $ense. Smiley Happy

If your competitor brand terms are profitable, and/or you have the budget to "poach" off their brand, then you may choose to create an adgroup for that within an existing campaign, or you may choose to create another campaign. It all depends on your advertising goal, and the tactics you employ to accomplish that goal. What's best, is what works best for you.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response! 

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, the more segmented your ad groups, the more specific and relevant your ad copy can be since ads are associated at the ad group level. I don't recommend bidding on competitor names, as your quality score can suffer. However, broadmatch keywords like "basketball sneakers" will match for search queries that include brands - yours and your competitors.