AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Do you have to use www in your display name when running extended text ads?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm setting up a campaign for a client and they need to use a shortened domain name which doesn't include 'www'. When I try to create extended text ads the 'www' prefix is automatically added - is there any way I can run an extended text advert without the 'www' prefix in the display URL?

It seems strange that basic text ads allow you to have a display URL without 'www' but extended ads insist on it?!

Thanks
Gareth

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I don't think you can remove the "www" part. In normal text ads that option was there because of the limited amount of characters you could put in the Display URL field (example: if "www.xyz.com/product/name" didn't fit, you could use "xyz.com/product/name" instead), but with expanded text ads they have added the Path fields which is the only thing you can edit for the Display URL (and you can make the Display URL longer compared to normal text ads). You can still make normal text ads in the Desktop Editor if it's that important to you. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Dean. Looks like I'll have to do normal text ads then - I'm guessing the Path fields are only useful if you want a longer URL/use a subdomain, e.g. shop.xyz.com/product/name?

All I want is to display xyz.com/service but within an extended ad, so I've enough characters to actually position the service.

Cheers

Gareth