AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Do's and don'ts when my campaign is running

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Friends,

When my campaign is running, I shouldn't make any changes in that.

Take for example:-  If I change some words in my Ad it will go for review and willn't shown in the google screen.

I would like to do's  and dont's when my campaign is running and consequence of that action.(Like the example in the above line).

Please clarify.

Thanks and regards,,

Vishwa.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Do's and don'ts when my campaign is running

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello vishwasaibaba;

You definitely should optimize your AdWords campaign! You should not leave it as is.. Check these two articles that explain how :

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Vishwa,

@vishwasaibaba wrote:

Hi Friends,

When my campaign is running, I shouldn't make any changes in that.

Take for example:-  If I change some words in my Ad it will go for review and willn't shown in the google screen.

I would like to do's  and dont's when my campaign is running and consequence of that action.(Like the example in the above line).

Please clarify.

Thanks and regards,,

Vishwa.

I would back Moshe about continual optimization work on Adwords campaigns.

In addition, I would clarify with an example: let's say your ads are running but are not on first page because of first page bid issues, will it not be wise enough for you to make the instant bidding changes and try to improve on your ad position?

If I would be there, I would definitely try that. Doing this, will have a dynamic impact on how Adwords would calculate the ad rank next time some relevant query is entered during the day and you might see some change.

Same is not the case with ad copy. If you edit it, it's more or less like a new ad copy which will accumulate fresh data from the time you edit it. Hence it's always good to pause the low or poor performance ad and then introduce a new one so that you can compare the performance of both after sometime.

Don't make drastic changes to your account instantly. It's good to make relevant changes and then analyse how the account is performing. So there is no definite time period to make optimal changes but you have to make the changes for sure to sustain the competition.

Read the articles listed by Moshe above and also go through the User Articles section of the Community where Adwords Professionals have shared their experiences and will assit you further.

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Good morning - 

To clarify Pankaj's good advice--when you want to add a new ad to an Ad Group, don't edit an existing ad. That's the equivalent of deleting the old ad and submitting a new one for review, as you say. Instead, create an entirely new ad, leaving the old one active until the new one is through the approval process and active to serve search traffic. Then pause or delete the original ad. That way, you always have at least one approved ad active and available to serve traffic.

Do monitor keyword/ad performance and positioning and adjust bids to achieve your desired spot on the search results page, as he says. In my opinion, you should not do this too frequently or without sufficient data. For example:

• Broad match, modified broad match, or even phrase match keywords - all of these variations can be paired with a wide variety of search terms--you need enough performance/positioning data to bid to compete for the searches that matter to you. Changing the bid several times a day is pointless--you need to wait until you have enough performance data across a few days (at least) to see how ad positioning is averaging--and you need to check the search query report to see how many of the searches your keywords are being matched to are searches that are attractive to you. 
  • Exact match keywords - you can adjust bids on these keywords immediately if you want to--they're mostly restricted to serving ads on searches that precisely match the phrase. (If you have the "close variants" option selected on the Campaign settings page, then the searches these keywords are matched to can be less precise. You'll want to monitor search query data for these, as well, so you know what searches are triggering them.)

For most advertisers, evaluating bids once a week is fine, once most of your traffic is coming as high on the page as you need it to be to produce results.

One important thing I'd do at least once a week would be to "mine" your search query data to find new negative keywords you can use to block searches that are inappropriate for your ads and new positive keywords that are precisely the kind of searches you do want your ads triggered for. That weeds out the irrelevant traffic and makes the data you're seeing in the AdWords UI more reliable in terms of what it's telling your about how the campaign is performing for the searches that matter to you.

In the end, of course, there are no hard-and-fast rules. A million advertisers are probably doing things half a million different ways. Smiley Happy  Do read the articles Moshe linked to (and browse the AdWords Help center for more great content) and formulate your own plan of action.

Good luck, and post again if you have more questions or want clarification!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*