AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Do quotations in a users search impact ad word display?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If someone performs a search for:

"dog walker"  (with quotations)

vs.

dog walker (without quotations) 

And dog walker is one of my keywords, does it have any bearing on which ads are displayed?  Ie. it will preference exact match types over broad?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Do quotations in a users search impact ad word display?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

AdWords tries to use the most restrictive matching available to match ads to search queries and user intent. "Dog walker" would probably pull up your exact match keyword and its associated ad.

Here's a nice article on how similar keywords match to search terms.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks - I don't believe that is the case though - I am only running broad matches in my campaign and my ad shows in each scenario (a search with or without quotations) when I have tested it.

The only noticable change in testing is the order of the ads - same ads, different placement/ranking.  So I am thinking that it may preference exact matches over broad in this scenario, but not eliminate.  Just wanted to know if anyone had an 'absolute' answer Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi ehelmer, if you're only using a broad match dog walker then your Ad can appear for any search term that has the word "dog" or the word "walker" in it, so it's quite normal that you'd see your Ad appear for both search terms.  I would suggest - quite strongly - that you don't use a simple broad match with this term as you'll be seeing impressions for a very large number of irrelevant search terms.

painperdu is right, however, Google attempts to match search terms to the most precise match within an Account.  Since you only have one type of match, only one type is triggering, I'm not sure where you think it isn't.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes - KW's set to 'broad match' will show if they relate to a constrained search. My question is really about whether exact matches would rank higher within a search where quotations are used.

Perhaps I am including too much info Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi ehelmer, I do understand your question.  We have drifted off your original message because you said in your first reply:

"I am only running broad matches in my campaign"

painperdu's original reply is still valid here but other factors may come into play.  You may wish to look through this reference on search matching:

How similar keywords match to search terms

Yes, I would expect "red shoes" to match primarily to the exact match Keyword [red shoes], but I would expect that to be the case whether the search term was quoted or not.  IF you only have broad matches and you have three Keywords, red shoes, shoes red and red shoe, it might be more complex because without quotes AdWords could theoretically match to any of these Keywords but with them I'd expect it to match only to the first.

Does this help?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits