AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Do negative keywords not work like the normal keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have added a negative keyword to a campaign. However, the ad still shows for a search term which includes my negative keyword in plural form. To illustrate, my negative keyword is resort and the search term has the word resorts in it.

I was under the impression that like how one need not add both versions, singular & plural, to the regular keywords list, one need not worry about adding both versions of the negative keyword as well. So, my question is: How exactly does a negative keyword work?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anish K
November 2015

Re: Do negative keywords not work like the normal keywords?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Anish, how are things?

Very helpful information from pankaj and Ratan-Jha,

I'd like to point the importance of having plural, singular, miss typing and other variations on your negative keywords. Google now have some many ways to connect those variations, that you have to try to cover most of them on your negative list, specially if they have big volume of clicks.

One other important thing to remember is that you can apply Keyword Match Type along with Negative keywords. Broad Match Modifier doesn't work for negatives, but Broad, Phrase and Exact do.

So if you happen to have negative keywords with 2 or more terms, always try to use at leats phrase in that, otherwise, having that keyword in broad is the same as having them individually, and sometimes this can create conflict with your positive keywords.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Anish,

Most of the times when you add the negative keyword, gradually you will see your ads not showing for  those terms or any other terms that include those ones.

Also, make sure that you don't have positive keywords in your list that is actually working in conjunction with the term that you want to be eliminated for. Reason being that positive keywords especially phrase and exact does match with the user search terms which are variations as well as that includes synonyms, singular, plural etc..

Best would be to review the search terms that are actually triggering the keywords where you don't want your ad to be shown up. Based on that analysis you could further refine your keyword strategy and work in that direction.

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Anish,

In addition to Pankaj's great suggestions, you should add both resort and resorts as the negatives. 

As Google says - Your ads could still show on searches that include synonyms and other variations, such as singular or plural versions of your words.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anish K
November 2015

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Anish, how are things?

Very helpful information from pankaj and Ratan-Jha,

I'd like to point the importance of having plural, singular, miss typing and other variations on your negative keywords. Google now have some many ways to connect those variations, that you have to try to cover most of them on your negative list, specially if they have big volume of clicks.

One other important thing to remember is that you can apply Keyword Match Type along with Negative keywords. Broad Match Modifier doesn't work for negatives, but Broad, Phrase and Exact do.

So if you happen to have negative keywords with 2 or more terms, always try to use at leats phrase in that, otherwise, having that keyword in broad is the same as having them individually, and sometimes this can create conflict with your positive keywords.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click