AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Do exact match types cost less than BMM (if both keywords are the same)?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Let's say you have these 2 keywords setup:

[this is the keyword]

and

+this +is +the +keyword

The keywords are both setup as single keyword ad groups. Each have their own ad group, and each have their own ad (same ad for both). So everything is the same, except for the match type.

Someone searches for: "this is the keyword"

Which one of these would technically cost less? The exact match, or BMM?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michal B
March 2016

Re: Do exact match types cost less than BMM (if both keywords are the same)?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
@RobSkelton

If you have multiple keywords that are the same (but different match types), the AdWords system will prefer to use the exact match keyword.

Find this information under 'Use an exact match keyword when the keywords are the same' - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Michal B

it really depends on what ends up participating in the auction. There is not a definitive rule in respect to one match type being cheaper than the other. Theoretically they should cost the same, but external factors can cause that not to be true.

For example:

Lets say you are bidding $3 on +this +is +the +keyword only.   Someone else has an adgroup that is only bidding on [buy this is the keyword] and they are bidding $2.50.   +this +is +the +keyword competes with [buy this is the keyword]  so you can expect your BMM keyword to pay at least $2.51 assuming the QS and all other external factors are the same.

[this is the keyword] is not going to compete with [buy this is the keyword].   Because of this, you might find that [this is the keyword] ends up only having an avg CPC of $1.  This doesn't mean exact match is cheaper than BMM, it's just how it played out in the auctions.  It could potentially be more expensive, again it's just relative to the auction. These auctions are very dynamic with a multitude of factors always changing.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Would you say that having both variants is a smart way to go -- have both in the case there is an exact match, but be flexible with the BMM as well?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Michal B

I can't say without knowing specifics of your scenario. I can say I have many of my adgroups setup that way. It's generally what I start with.

I take the core words I know I want to sponsor and set it to BMM.  As the data rolls in from the SQR, I start breaking things out into exact match based on what performs well.  For example, let's say I start an ad group with +blue +widgets for $2 bid.  After accumulating a weeks worth of data, I see that [buy blue widget with a sprocket] has a great conversion rate, but not such a good CTR because of avg position.  I then add [buy blue widget with a sprocket] as an exact match and up my bid to $4 to see if I can get the same or better conversion rate AND a better CTR.  The data shows that's the only instance where I should consider raising the bid, so that's why I do that instead of raising the bid of +blue +widgets to $4.  Make sense?

The sky is the limit when it comes to testing various setups/architectures with adgroups, you just need to pay attention to what the data is telling you and make adjustments accordingly.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
For virgin ad groups, they should perform equally for the first ever search. You would think that Google would choose the exact keyword, but I haven't seen this officially acknowledged.

For ad groups that have history, then historical CTR comes into play. I have seen exact keywords left in the dust because the phrase or BMM got off to a great CTR initially, for non-exact search queries.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michal B
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
@RobSkelton

If you have multiple keywords that are the same (but different match types), the AdWords system will prefer to use the exact match keyword.

Find this information under 'Use an exact match keyword when the keywords are the same' - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Based on my data exact match keywords have better conversion rate in most of the cases therefore I am always creating 2 campaigns - 1 in BMM and another in Exact match so I can reallocate budgets to most profitable campaigns.

I don't think that you should focus on CPC metric comparing their performance but on ROAS or at least cost per conversion because often keywords with higher cpc finnaly give lower cost per conversion.

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’