AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Do Paused Keywords Affect the Market Value of the Keyword?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

My question is this: does raising or lowering the bid of a keyword that is paused have any impact at all on the economy of which that keyword is a part of? For example, if my competitor and I are bidding on the same keyword, but my competitor then pauses his keyword and then raises his bid to well beyond the top of page bid estimate, does Google take this change into account and recalculate the top of page bid estimate?

And what if the kw is active but it's AdGroup is paused, or if the kw and the AdGroup are both active but the campaign is paused? Do any of these scenarios impact the top of page/first page estimates any differently than the above example or have any other impact on the market value of the kw?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Do Paused Keywords Affect the Market Value of the Keyword?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Alex K
No and NO

If a keyword is not LIVE in the auction, the parameters, qs, bids, are not active and DO NOT effect the "market value" or any Keyword that ARE LIVE.

Only totally LIVE keyword are taken into the auction and effect ad rank and CPC.

This video about how the auction works may be beneficial as well - only 8 minutes long but excellent. Insights on the AdWords Auction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjOHTFRaBWA

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Alex K
No and NO

If a keyword is not LIVE in the auction, the parameters, qs, bids, are not active and DO NOT effect the "market value" or any Keyword that ARE LIVE.

Only totally LIVE keyword are taken into the auction and effect ad rank and CPC.

This video about how the auction works may be beneficial as well - only 8 minutes long but excellent. Insights on the AdWords Auction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjOHTFRaBWA

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you for the reply Eric G. Do you have any Google pages that you can point me to that support your answer and address my question? Or is this knowledge gathered through experience?

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
knowledge gathered through experience. plus common sense.

I could create a account, pause everything and set Bids for 1 Million dollars each.. The entire system would break down, if that were the case.

Only LIVE Keywords can effect the market, auction, statistics etc..

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Adding to Eric's reply:  

Since in the auction's  process, first, an active  KW is matched  to a search query, and then an ad-rank is calculated using the QS and  the bid of this  KW - the conclusion is that only active kWs  could affect the auction.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you Eric G and Moshe. Sometimes I double check what I think is common sense because I've been wrong before . Thanks for you help guys.

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner
your welcome Alex K.

Good luck