AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Do I specifiy a match type for keywords in a display campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have never set up a display campaign and am looking for some clarification. First, I am still confused about the relationship between keywords and placements in a display campaign. Can I have both keywords and placements in the same adgroup? Or should they be in separate adgroups?

In my search network campaigns, I have separate campaigns for exact and broad match terms. Should I do the same thing wiht keywords in my display campaign? Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Do I specifiy a match type for keywords in a display campaign?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Mario,

By default, all keywords are considered Broad Match in the Display Network. So I'd suggest not to use any match types.

AdWords places your ads on websites (among display network) that have a similar theme as your keywords. You'll not have any control over websites that may show your ads. This is called Keyword Contextual Targeting.

If you use Placements (only) as a targeting criteria, your ads would show up on websites or placements you've selected.

In case you're using a combination of Keywords and Placements, your ads would show on pages within those placements, that match the theme of your keywords.

Here's an example from the help center:

If you want to show on sites based on your keywords, but you think that your potential customers visit two specific websites, you could add travel-example.com and luxurytravelexample.com as placements, and select "Bid only." Then, you could set a bid on those placements to increase your chances of showing there when your keywords match those placements.

Here's the help center link: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882?hl=en

Hope that helps!

Best,
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Mario,

By default, all keywords are considered Broad Match in the Display Network. So I'd suggest not to use any match types.

AdWords places your ads on websites (among display network) that have a similar theme as your keywords. You'll not have any control over websites that may show your ads. This is called Keyword Contextual Targeting.

If you use Placements (only) as a targeting criteria, your ads would show up on websites or placements you've selected.

In case you're using a combination of Keywords and Placements, your ads would show on pages within those placements, that match the theme of your keywords.

Here's an example from the help center:

If you want to show on sites based on your keywords, but you think that your potential customers visit two specific websites, you could add travel-example.com and luxurytravelexample.com as placements, and select "Bid only." Then, you could set a bid on those placements to increase your chances of showing there when your keywords match those placements.

Here's the help center link: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882?hl=en

Hope that helps!

Best,
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mario R,

We can not add match type for keyword in display network. Only broad match keyword work on the display network. We can exclude the keyword from display network that work like negative keyword.