AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Do I need to bother with old text ad format?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm building out a new account from scratch and writing the adcopy - it's quite a granular account, and I'm wondering do I need to bother with the old adcopy format?

The new format will be the norm from the 26th of October, if I don't have any variations in teh account before then, will I miss out on Impression share?

Thanks in advance,

Brendan

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2016

Re: Do I need to bother with old text ad format?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Brendan,

The cutoff for creating standard ads was extended into January so if you'd like to run some tests, you still have time. However, ETAs will be the norm at some point and offer so much more real estate for marketing messaging. I have not created one standard ad since the official launch.

https://adwords.googleblog.com/2016/09/expanded-text-ads-more-time-to-test-and.html

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Brendan,

The cutoff for creating standard ads was extended into January so if you'd like to run some tests, you still have time. However, ETAs will be the norm at some point and offer so much more real estate for marketing messaging. I have not created one standard ad since the official launch.

https://adwords.googleblog.com/2016/09/expanded-text-ads-more-time-to-test-and.html

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
FYI Google just announced that the deadline for the ETA's has been extended to January 31, 2017.

You might get conflicting answers here but from what I have seen over the last several months is that the ETA's are not resulting in any lost impressions share in the accounts I manage. Instead CTR's are UP and IS is improving with them in the mix. I have slowly been phasing out the standard ads and CTR and impression share are continuing to increase.

I think it is fair to assume things will level out and might even drop once more advertisers roll ETA's out.

Kim

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'