AdWords
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Do Banner & Text ads generate impressions if they are blocked?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Do Banner & Text ads generate impressions if they are blocked?

For my own curiousity, I want to say they don't, but I do not know for sure and am wondering if anyone else knew this answer.

I run two chrome browsers. One a full containment with AdBlocks, flash blocks, readability, etc. The other is incognito with no blocks, so I see ads etc.

So, I am curious if AdWords will register an impression if the ad is blocked, because it knows that the extension triggered not showing the ad or is it not advanced enough to know, thereby showing an impression even though an ad technically did not appear on the screen?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by JulianaS (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Do Banner & Text ads generate impressions if they are bloc

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Frisco, 

This is a great question and definitely a tricky one. To start as I am sure you are aware, there can be several different ad blockers a user can install to prevent themselves from seeing not just GDN ads but also those in other networks. Typically, this sort of extension does not block ads from serving but rather hides them from a user's view; thus, an impression count can still occur. 

If a users opts out of Google ads via this link ads are not served at all to the user, so it would not be possible for an ad auction to be event be initiated. I hope this helps clarify your questions.

Juliana 

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Frisco C, 

Thanks for your question. I am getting some more information for you on this. You will hear back from us soon.

-Hannah

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Hannah, I am looking forward to hearing from you on this.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by JulianaS (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Frisco, 

This is a great question and definitely a tricky one. To start as I am sure you are aware, there can be several different ad blockers a user can install to prevent themselves from seeing not just GDN ads but also those in other networks. Typically, this sort of extension does not block ads from serving but rather hides them from a user's view; thus, an impression count can still occur. 

If a users opts out of Google ads via this link ads are not served at all to the user, so it would not be possible for an ad auction to be event be initiated. I hope this helps clarify your questions.

Juliana 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Juliana and Hannah for your help.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Does this apply only to the GDN or also to Google.com and search partners?