2.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Display vs. Search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to reach a certain age group that is looking for a fee-only planner. I initially chose display advertising too but when I looked the websites they were using, they did not seem appropriate to my ideal client. Can I designate the type of websites are chosen? For what I do, simply putting ads on investment websites would not work.

Thanks for any guidance!

Mark

Display vs. Search

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mark,

According to me, you have to try the search campaign because if someone looking for "fee-only planner" then must have to search on Google rather than any display websites. After getting some data, you can optimize your campaign as per your need.

If you go with display campaign then you have to more focus on statistics and then only you can do good with the display websites. You can also select only those websites from where you can get the visitors as you are looking for.

But I suggest to try search campaign and see the results.

If you need any help or suggestion you can reply me anytime.

Thanks,

Aslam

Display vs. Search

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Hello Mark,

You should consider doing both, I would use search to catch that person that is currently looking for your produce and then use Placements on the display network, to put your ad on specific websites that you want to target. Or keep using the topics and interests, but keep a close eye on your landing pages and just keep blocking all the one you do not want. I always start with blocking my ads on

Parked domains, error pages, Sexually suggestive, Juvenile, gross, and bizarre, Profanity and rough language, and in-game

then watch the placements to find good and bad websites. Good ones I will target and bad I will block. 

Hope that helped. 

Display vs. Search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you! That helps. As long as the ad followed the person that did the search or the website that the display ad (I guess is called "placement") reaches the right audience. There are a lot of do-it-yourselfers in my industry and I don't want to waste ads on them. Many of the websites I see are for do-it-yourselfers.

Thanks for the help!

Display vs. Search

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

You don't have to do anything you don't want to. Ideally it's best not to assume anything, try everything, analyze the results, and optimize based on the data. However, I think your initial strategy was the right way to go in this case. Because you are trying to target a particular audience, display will provide you with the most options and control. 

What kind of business are we talking about? What is the goal of the advertising?

Tom