AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Display network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently started running a PPC campaign for a law firm with Display Network enabled. I added suggested keywords by Google but un unbeknownst to me, Google added some local lawyer names to the keywords. Because this is against the law, my client received an email asking them to stop. My question is how can I make sure names of lawyers are not added automatically to any of my ads? This particular issue showed up on a yahoo search result and I didn't event see the name in my keywords but found other names. I temporarily paused my campaign and added the names to my negative keywords. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shane

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Krisha (Community Manager)
June 2016

Re: Display network

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@shanecarter;

In search with display select the system automatically picks the best performing KWs (from the list of search KWs)  to create a theme which is matched to relevant content pages on the display network. In this type of campaign you have no control of the keywords used for contextual targeting (= the process in which a  keywords theme is matched to relevant web pages)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Shane,

You've already done exactly what I'd suggest - add the lawyer's names as negative keywords, on broad, at the campaign level. You could even do up some searches for your keywords, see what other lawyers come up, and then add those as negative keywords as well.

Also too, on the opposite side is use Broad Match Modifier (+) to ensure that ads only show for generic lawyer search terms, and/or search terms with your client's name included.

Are you using {Keyword Insertion} in any of your ads as well? That might cause other names to appear in your ads, depending on search terms and keyword match types.

Keep in mind that you're on the right track! Smiley Happy

-Ruthy B.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Ruthy! I'm not to familiar with Broad Match Modifier or keyword insertion. Im new to this thing but I will check it out.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@shanecarter@Ruthy B

Not sure what type of campaign you are running, (is that a Search with Dispaly Select or a standalone display campaign?) however, A few points to note and clarify here;

• Google / the system does not add any keywords. The system suggests  keywords. However, on the display network all keywords work collectively as a theme. Adding  a  firm law as keywords doesn't  contribute to define a more coherent  theme.
  • Further, on the display network all keywords   are broad match. (To define the theme)  match type operators on display - are ignored.
  • Negative keywords on display do not eliminate the ad from being shown on  display pages. They reduce the likelihood of showing the ad.
  • And finally,  on the search network this is a common and allowed practice  to bid on a competitor name.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It is a search with display select campaign.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Krisha (Community Manager)
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@shanecarter;

In search with display select the system automatically picks the best performing KWs (from the list of search KWs)  to create a theme which is matched to relevant content pages on the display network. In this type of campaign you have no control of the keywords used for contextual targeting (= the process in which a  keywords theme is matched to relevant web pages)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks @MosheTLV. This helps a lot.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@shanecarter;

You're welcome. Come back and update us on the progress of your campaign.