Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Display network help needed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

About 2 years ago I had some really good results from a country targeted campaign with excellent impressions (20000 per day) good CTR (2%) and conversion rate.

I didn’t touch the campaign at all but in April 2011 the impressions started to drop gradually. By June of last year the campaign had low impressions (1000 per day) although CTR & conversions remained at the same level. I increased the click bid price but to no avail.

Since that time (Obsessed from England) I have been trying to get this success back ? I now understand the importance of account setup i.e I did have 250 keywords in the ad group etc, but I can’t get the campaign to gain impression traction.

Now if I set up an ad group with 1 keyword & 1 ad etc. it starts well but after a week the impressions fall away again.

The upshot is that I think I got lucky, right ads, keywords targets etc. but I now am having real trouble getting it back. Does anyone know what might have changed in April 2011 or have any thoughts as to why the impressions just don’t get traction?

Cheers

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Display network help needed

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Mike,

You had 2% CTR in the Display Network ? that seems odd and way too much !

Anyway, I would suggest you to track back by reports which websites gave you most of the traffic at that time -

Maybe some of these websites made some changes - and you should manually target these sites now (or maybe they don't use Adsense any more).

If your impressions fall away after a week - I guess your CTR isn't so great, so I would recommend you to try a different ad copy (and maybe use image ads - these usually bring high CTR).

Good Luck,

Asaf

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Re: Display network Placements + keywords

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again Mike_uk;

I would combine Keywords AND placements together, to make sure that ads appear on relevant webpages (based on contextual targeting) that are on the list of placements picked.

Mike_uk wrote:

2 – I look at the placements 18 months ago as suggested and am doing a placements only campaign set at 12p per click (was paying 6p a year ago) and the other night I had 4 impressions and 1 click (great CTR) which cost 5p. The upshot being that even if I increase the click price to 50p it doesn’t make any difference. I have checked the advertisers report and confirmed that substantially more than 4 people visit the site per night.

Kind regards,

Mike

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Mike,

You had 2% CTR in the Display Network ? that seems odd and way too much !

Anyway, I would suggest you to track back by reports which websites gave you most of the traffic at that time -

Maybe some of these websites made some changes - and you should manually target these sites now (or maybe they don't use Adsense any more).

If your impressions fall away after a week - I guess your CTR isn't so great, so I would recommend you to try a different ad copy (and maybe use image ads - these usually bring high CTR).

Good Luck,

Asaf

Re: Display network biding keyword level

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Mike; welcome to our Community;

The Display Network has had many changes. The major and significant one was about a month ago. So, all early changes are not quite relevant any more:

The last change ( a major one) allows you to bid on a keyword level on the Display. Google calls it "bringing search capabilities into Display"). The previous concept of a few keywords working collectively as a theme is gone.

I would recommend that you keep 5-10 keywords to target pages on display and bid separately on each one,

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Mike,

I must say that building a campaign and then not optimizing it for a longer period of time, is certainly not worth of what you want to accomplish. Adwords has evolved and witnessed significant number of changes in the past couple of years.

It's really difficult to say what led to sudden dip in number of impressions in your Display Campaign.

But thanks to Adwords Engineers. who built this remarkable tool called Change History. You can get all the information on what all changes were performed and what could have led to fall in impressions and other statistics, if you ever made some changes after creating the campaign.

Similarly, you can look at the Placements Data under Automatic if you didn't added them under Managed ones. Compare the data month on month or rather quarterly basis and try to capture the pattern. Hopefully it will assist you in finding what all placements were witnessing huge impressions for your ads and why they reduced later on. Most probably it could be due to the competition and if other advertisers would have bid more strongly, your ad might have started losing impressions due to not getting eligible for the auction process.

I will strongly suggest you to read this reference which will guide you what has changed in Display Network and how you can now evaulate various statistics.

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your suggestions which I have been working on for the last few days. I have gone through (as much as I can) to see what may have changed since over a year ago when things were running well and the competition, the display sites etc. all seem to be the same and doing the what they were a year ago.

I now have a couple of observations that I hope someone can let me know what might be the problem;

1 - The problem for me is that if I say “right, let’s start again” and do a new campaign it starts off slowly and after a couple of days gets a reasonable number of impressions and clicks. I start to think great, it now works but every time after a week or so the impressions and clicks fall off again gradually dropping to almost zero.

2 – I look at the placements 18 months ago as suggested and am doing a placements only campaign set at 12p per click (was paying 6p a year ago) and the other night I had 4 impressions and 1 click (great CTR) which cost 5p. The upshot being that even if I increase the click price to 50p it doesn’t make any difference. I have checked the advertisers report and confirmed that substantially more than 4 people visit the site per night.

Kind regards,

Mike

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Re: Display network Placements + keywords

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again Mike_uk;

I would combine Keywords AND placements together, to make sure that ads appear on relevant webpages (based on contextual targeting) that are on the list of placements picked.

Mike_uk wrote:

Kind regards,

Mike