AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Display network - Is it wise to separate keyword ads from image ads?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all

I currently have a display network only ads but i have a mix of image ads and keyword/text ads...

Is it wise to separate them? if so, what's the logic/reasoning behind that?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Hi taewoo,   It is generally recommended to separate text...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi taewoo,

It is generally recommended to separate text ads and image ads at least into separate AdGroups if not separate campaigns. When you place them all in one ad group, they all end up with the same bid. As Tom mentioned, you will likely need to bid higher on the image ads to get placement. You can't do that if they are all in the same ad group.

I do have one ad group set up this way: One 300x250 image and three text ads. The image ad has 5 times better CTR than the text ads. In the same campaign, I have a separate group for image ads with a higher bid. This group includes larger format ads, so it carries are higher bid. This group has about 4 times better CTR than the text ads.

It appears the 300x250 banner ad is doing fine in the same group with the text ads. Of course, it may be that this ad is getting all the inexpensive impressions and the other group gets the impressions from the higher bid. I'm sure that's skewing my data unfavorably. I would imagine a 250x250 banner ad would also do ok in a group with text ads. At the same time, however, the 300x250 ad in the image group gets close to 3 times the number of impressions. I think that is significant and leads me to the conclusion I should remove the image ad from the text ad group.

It looks like the "Ad" column sorts on the headline. Since image ads don't have a headline, sorting that column has no effect. You might want to group similar size image ads by ad group so you can more easily compare performance. This would also allow you to set different bids based on the ad size.

In this case, for a Display Network campaign, there is not a problem useing the same keywords in each ad Group, since not all sizes of your ads will be eligible to display on any given site. It seems a bit rare when Google mixes text and image ads in the same ad block. This means your ad goups have a minimal "competition" between them.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

I'd stick with what you're doing.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Taewoo,

I would say that you're doing the right thing, if your image ads don't win the impression, your text ads are a good backup to still have a chance at your ad showing.

Image ads have to beat out the amount of text ads that could show in the same ad slot.  If you only had image ads, you could miss out on the potential impressions that the text ads can pick up.

I don't think it would hurt you but I personally don't feel its needed to have separate Dispaly (image ads only) and Display (text ads only) campaigns.

A quick overview.

Other folks here may have an alternative perspective...

Again, just my 2 cents for ya.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

How would you "group" image ads that are of different IAB sizes?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks PPCBossman

One thing ... if i have 2 sets of images (with each set having all the various IAB sizes), is there a way to "filter" so that I can specifiy something like "show me the CTRs for 300x250 banner ads in this ad group"?

Right now, i have to keep scrolling up and down.. this is too painful.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Hi taewoo,   It is generally recommended to separate text...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi taewoo,

It is generally recommended to separate text ads and image ads at least into separate AdGroups if not separate campaigns. When you place them all in one ad group, they all end up with the same bid. As Tom mentioned, you will likely need to bid higher on the image ads to get placement. You can't do that if they are all in the same ad group.

I do have one ad group set up this way: One 300x250 image and three text ads. The image ad has 5 times better CTR than the text ads. In the same campaign, I have a separate group for image ads with a higher bid. This group includes larger format ads, so it carries are higher bid. This group has about 4 times better CTR than the text ads.

It appears the 300x250 banner ad is doing fine in the same group with the text ads. Of course, it may be that this ad is getting all the inexpensive impressions and the other group gets the impressions from the higher bid. I'm sure that's skewing my data unfavorably. I would imagine a 250x250 banner ad would also do ok in a group with text ads. At the same time, however, the 300x250 ad in the image group gets close to 3 times the number of impressions. I think that is significant and leads me to the conclusion I should remove the image ad from the text ad group.

It looks like the "Ad" column sorts on the headline. Since image ads don't have a headline, sorting that column has no effect. You might want to group similar size image ads by ad group so you can more easily compare performance. This would also allow you to set different bids based on the ad size.

In this case, for a Display Network campaign, there is not a problem useing the same keywords in each ad Group, since not all sizes of your ads will be eligible to display on any given site. It seems a bit rare when Google mixes text and image ads in the same ad block. This means your ad goups have a minimal "competition" between them.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Hi taewoo,   It is generally recommended to separate text...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi guys,

I have Text and Image ads located in 2 ad-groups of 1 Display campaign as follows:

Ad group 1 - Only text ads;
Ad group 2 - Only image ads.

I started text ads first and added image ads 4 days later.

The result:

Text ads lost exposure immediately on the day image ads started running.

Here is a screenshot: http://www.screencast.com/t/nAZw7u7pU

I am worried that I somehow "killed" the text ads. It looks like image ads run well but at the expense of text ads.

So my question is:

1) Is there anything to worry about here? Maybe Banner ads are expected to provide better CTR, and that's the reason why Google Adwords favors them.

Re: Hi taewoo, It is generally recommended to separate text...

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Peter,

Let me try and help you out here.

What you have highlighted here is a scenario that I have come across on occasions across my accounts. Like Tommy has perfectly explained that it is ideal that you keep your Image and Text ads in the same campaign/ad group as it ensures that you are covered w.r.t. visibility as there could be a possibility that your text ads do not win an auction on a placement but instead your Image ads do and vice versa.

Now in your case, what you need to check is, if your text ads (that were running perfectly before the introduction of Image ads) were showing up on the same placements as the now active image ads are showing up on. Basically, take a time frame before the introduction of Image ads for the placement report (text ads here) , look at the top placement where you were receiving your impressions/clicks from and then take a current time frame (post the introduction of Image ads) and check if its the same placements where your text ads were showing earlier. If the placements are the same then yes, your Image ads have eaten into the performance/impression share of your text ads.

The only way to fix this would be target both the ad types in the same adgroup, as this would ensure that on ad slots where an Image ad would not fit, your text ad does manage to show up (Sometimes, the text ads are blow up in terms of their font size and appearance to fit the ad slot thus making your ad more prominent). But if you continue to run with the current setup, your text ads may not recover at all.

Splitting Image and Text ads into separate campaigns would only increase your spends and not give you the desired result you seek. I would recommend you update/better your messaging on the image ads (take learnings from the text ad messaging) and keep both the text and Image ads in one adgroup under the same campaign. Additionally, I would recommend you to add not more than 1-2 text ad copy in the adgroup along with the other image ad size variations.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers,
Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"