Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Display campaigns with keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear All,

in which case I should add keywords to a display campaigns made only by banners and running either on the GDN or on my managed placements?

Thanks for clarifying this! Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Display campaigns with keywords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Floriana,

Adding keywords to a Display Network campaign will have varying effects which will depend on the network settings and targeting methods you decide to employ.

The two GDN settings are:

- Display Network - Broad reach: Show ads on pages that match my primary targeting method 

- Display Network - Specific reach: Show ads only on pages that match all my targeting methods

There are many scenarios possible that can arise here. 

Automatic Placements with keywords, use contextual targeting and will show your ads anywhere that Google deems appropriate based on your targeting methods. I would definitely suggest the use of keywords in this case.

Managed placements are sites that you choose so the need for keywords may not be as needed in this case.

As previously mentioned, there are also topics, interest categories and audiences you can choose and don't forget to review your placement reports and exclude the poor placements from your campaigns.

I would also suggest that if you decide to use a combination of these settings that you separate managed placements from automatic placements in separate campaigns.  This will provide you the most control over where your ads will be displayed.

Sorry for all the links but there is lots of info on Display Network - This site is also great!!

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author floriana
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Floriana,

Thanks!  No problem at all, I'm glad to help when I can.

If you review your placement reports and are happy with them, you may not need to add in any keywords or alter your settings.  Keywords on the GDN function as a way to refine and tighten the placement targeting.  You could try it on a couple of campaigns and see how they perform.  If you find that adding keywords improves your performance, they you can explore adding them to more campaigns.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Adding keywords to a Display Network campaign is a targeting method on the GDN. By adding keywords, you are telling Google that you want to display your banner ads on those webpages that have content similar to your keywords. This is called Contextual targeting.

Another way to target the Display Network is by adding placements to the ad group. This tells Google that you want to show your ads only on those webpages or websites that you have specified

You can also target the Display Network using Topic Targeting or Interest Category Marketing.

Let me know if you need more help.

Heta
- Paid Search Marketing | www.convonix.com
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Floriana,

Adding keywords to a Display Network campaign will have varying effects which will depend on the network settings and targeting methods you decide to employ.

The two GDN settings are:

- Display Network - Broad reach: Show ads on pages that match my primary targeting method 

- Display Network - Specific reach: Show ads only on pages that match all my targeting methods

There are many scenarios possible that can arise here. 

Automatic Placements with keywords, use contextual targeting and will show your ads anywhere that Google deems appropriate based on your targeting methods. I would definitely suggest the use of keywords in this case.

Managed placements are sites that you choose so the need for keywords may not be as needed in this case.

As previously mentioned, there are also topics, interest categories and audiences you can choose and don't forget to review your placement reports and exclude the poor placements from your campaigns.

I would also suggest that if you decide to use a combination of these settings that you separate managed placements from automatic placements in separate campaigns.  This will provide you the most control over where your ads will be displayed.

Sorry for all the links but there is lots of info on Display Network - This site is also great!!

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Tom your post is awesome.

Just one worry: almost all my display campaigns running on the automatic placements are set on the the broad reach and most of them have no keywords yet. Is that something that I should change very soon?

thanks again!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author floriana
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Floriana,

Thanks!  No problem at all, I'm glad to help when I can.

If you review your placement reports and are happy with them, you may not need to add in any keywords or alter your settings.  Keywords on the GDN function as a way to refine and tighten the placement targeting.  You could try it on a couple of campaigns and see how they perform.  If you find that adding keywords improves your performance, they you can explore adding them to more campaigns.

-Tom