4.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Display ads change color

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! I just created several single-layer .jpg ads for the display network, and I noticed on certain pages the ads turn a lighter color when the mouse hovers over them. Any ideas as to why this could be happening?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display ads change color

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Nadene,

Right off the bat, this could be more to do with the way those sites are designed or coded. Can you please share some of those links here?

Thanks,
Mini

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Nadene,

I agree with Mini on this. Ideally, your ads do not turn a lighter shade when you hover over it but if the overall placement web design is such that areas that are focused on turn a lighter shade then it is bound to happen with your ads as well.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nadene E
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Nadene E,

I have noticed this behavior on AdWords Images for a few months now.  It happens only on Static Image Ads, and do not seem to be confined with website specific coding. 

After your question here, I did a bit of research for you. However, I could not find any documentation as to why it happens. But found that  this effect is applied by Google itself. 

Google adds this piece of CSS code to image ads by default -

.img_ad:hover {
-webkit-filter: brightness(120%);
}

So, obviously it brightens up the image by 20%. I believe this is to highlight users' interactions with the Ad. 

To cope with it, you can use a bit darker color background or border to the image. 

Hope it helps.

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Ratan! That is indeed helpful.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Always happy to help, Nadene!

Happy Advertising Smiley Happy

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.