3.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Display ads and retargeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I am trying to understand the benefits of using display ads alone, retargeting ads alone, or both. Is there a need for both? I feel like it would be a bit overwhelming for the user. Thank you!

Display ads and retargeting

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Well, it depends on what your goals are. If you want to gain traffic to your site from new users or raise awareness for a new product/service, then display ads are a good option. Retargeting is for people who have already been to your site, then you can narrow it down from there for people who purchased, visited a product page, etc... I would recommend you use both, as you can prospect new customers and then retarget to them after a reasonable purchase window (30 days maybe).

It may seem overwhelming at first, but once you start testing and reading Adwords help articles it becomes clearer and easy to manage. Here is an article on how to choose the right objective, and once you start building out a campaign there are tools to help with this: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6175956?hl=en