Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Display ad for people who search for <term> + <city>

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

As a new AdWords user I'm not too sure how ads are displayed.

I want to run a campaign and have a fairly long list of common search terms, but I'm aware that many potential customers use the regular search terms plus their local city.

Do I basically need to make the list twice as long with duplicate terms + city, or is there an easier (managable) way to display my ads to these people? 

Regards,

Nils

5 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author nilskaspersson
September 2015

Re: Display ad for people who search for <term> + <city>

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Nils,

You probably wouldn't want to use individual words - whether verbs or nouns - on their own as they'll (again probably) be too broad.  In your situation I'd probably start by using the modfied broad match type, i.e. +verb +noun which will then allow you to trigger on any terms that use at least both these words, in any order.  As you monitor your account and regularly look at the actual search terms being used, and especially those most successful in terms of conversions, etc. you can replace these broad matches with phrase or even exact matches.  It would be a good idea to have at least one separate group for these new phrase or exact matches (deleting the equivalent modified broad from the other group(s)) as this may allow you to use dynamic keyword insertion (DKI) in your ads, or at least make the ads more specific to the term(s).

If you use location targeting, your ads will be shown to anyone who's in the area you specify or who use a location specific term from outside that area.  For example, if you target London, someone in London may see your ad just searching on "verb noun", or someone in Edinburgh may see your ad searching on "verb noun London".

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

You can use advance location settings in order to show up your ads for the search terms that contains city names only.

Please check here for better understanding how advance location works. 

Thanks,

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Forgot to mention advance locations options are available for Search Network only.

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Nils,

I would initially recommend dividing your "long list of common search terms" into smaller tightly themed lists. It is important to create ad groups containing relevant keywords and ads, having one long list makes it impossible to do this. 

I am not sure what you mean by creating duplicate terms but I would suggest creating a regular ad group ("Blue Widgets" for example) and then a secondary city ad group (like "Blue Widgets London"). You can do this for each of your products and services while creating unique ads for each list / ad group that you build. 

Kind regards,

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Nils, as Scott has said, firstly make sure you've got tightly themed, perhaps quite small, groups of related keywords rather than a single long list in one group.

On the location front, personally I'd always recommend using the Location Targeting option rather than using location keywords in your Keywords.  Why?  Because if you use the location in your keywords, you're limiting (with certain match types) the matches that can be made, i.e. if you use "blue widget london" as your keyword (as a Phrase match) then your ad won't trigger on a search for "blue widget" from someone in London.  If you use "blue widget" as a phrase keyword and set the location targeting to be London, the ad will trigger on "blue widget" and "blue widget london", and in both cases only display to people in the London area.

Having said this, it does depend upon the nature of the business and the precise location(s) you're targeting so if you can share some more info on this we should be able to offer some more advice.

Jon

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

As Jon said, location in your keywords is not necessary, except perhaps for one (not so common) situation: people in London, interested for blue widgets, which are detected by the AdWords system outside of London (location detection is better and better, but not perfect). In their case, the location targeting set to London and the "blue widget" keyword combination would not trigger an ad to be shown.

In any event, once you have your small, targeted keywords lists, each in their own ad group, padding them with a list of frequent locations should not be too complicated, in case you want to test that as well.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all and thanks for your replies!

I'm sorry for not being descriptive enough in the first post. Please allow me to elaborate:

I'm running a campaign for a company doing adjustments to clothes. My studies have shown that people use many different verbs for this service, and many different nouns to describe the product. The searches are usually verb + noun.

Say there are 5 different verbs and 5 different nouns that are commonly used. I'm under the impression I need to write down all 25 possible combinations of search terms as seperate keywords, is this correct? Or will AdWords automatically display the ad for all 25 possible combinations if I simply add the 10 different words as keywods?

Then there are also a certain amount of poeple who search verb + noun + city, will my ads still be displayed even if I never included city as a keyword - assuming I set a geographical location to the campaign?

Thanks again,

Nils

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author nilskaspersson
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Nils,

You probably wouldn't want to use individual words - whether verbs or nouns - on their own as they'll (again probably) be too broad.  In your situation I'd probably start by using the modfied broad match type, i.e. +verb +noun which will then allow you to trigger on any terms that use at least both these words, in any order.  As you monitor your account and regularly look at the actual search terms being used, and especially those most successful in terms of conversions, etc. you can replace these broad matches with phrase or even exact matches.  It would be a good idea to have at least one separate group for these new phrase or exact matches (deleting the equivalent modified broad from the other group(s)) as this may allow you to use dynamic keyword insertion (DKI) in your ads, or at least make the ads more specific to the term(s).

If you use location targeting, your ads will be shown to anyone who's in the area you specify or who use a location specific term from outside that area.  For example, if you target London, someone in London may see your ad just searching on "verb noun", or someone in Edinburgh may see your ad searching on "verb noun London".

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cobnut,

Thank you for the insight. This seems like a better solution than what I expected.

Thanks to all of you for your time and help!

Regards,

Nils

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

I 'd like to add, that I have a campaign in a region, where due to historical IT (infrastructure) standard adopted, Google has been unable to correlate user IP with the user geo-location. So, I have used the "verb +city name" structure for keywords (+ stands for "modified broad match")

It has been working extremely well. Although, Google is unable to show the ad for those who have IP in that area (as said, It cannot track IP within that region), the ad has been appearing, for all those who have been searching for "noun + at/to/in/ city" (modified broad covers all these propositions before the city name).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’