Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Display URL Best Practices

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has any experience or sources showing peformance differences between display URL's utilizing www. vs a domain name without www.

I realize you should always split test the ad copy. Just looking for input.

Thanks!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display URL Best Practices

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

My experience only DKI in the display URL increases the CTR..... But I have not  run any statistical experiment which supports  / proves this  hypothesis. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Robert O
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Robert,

I have realized the Display URL without "WWW." receives better CTR than display url with "WWW."
The reason is that without "WWW." we can add 4 more character in the Display URL, thus it gives advantage us to add keywords in Display URL.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If you look in the Ad preview at an Ad where you do not type www. you will see that google adds this automatically so there is no question about choice in the first place. Always use the site without www.

Also if your site represents some keywords for example cartowing.com it is advisable to highlight each word with an uppercase letter such as CarTowing.com/

This can also be done with DKI by writing the instruction {KeyWord;...} instead of {keyword:....}

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Robert, as Adrian has said, for domains without a specific sub-domain other than "www", AdWords will add the www anyway, so putting it in or leaving it out in your actual Ads will have no effect apart from these exceptions:

#1 - subdomain.example.com will show as subdomain.example.com.  Where you specify a sub-domain (other than www), that sub-domain will be shown.

#2 - where the Display URL is more than 31 characters without the www, the www will not be added as this would cause the Display URL to exceed 35 characters.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits