AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network > How many placements are good?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I recently took over Adwords from my colleague, and some of things I am confused, especially Display Network.

There are two questions at the moment. Please help me.

- How many placements??
My colleague chose 80 Management placements and 80 Automatic placements for each adgroup.

I feel they are too many placements, but is this normal for Display Network advertisement?
Or how many placements are generally considered good?

- Automatic placements are better than Manual placements?

I checked my company's history of conversions of Display Network, and Automatic placements brought better conversions than Manual placements.

Is it because Automatic placements are always better?

Or simply my colleague chose the wrong ones??

Any advice would be appreciated!!
Regards

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Display Network > How many placements are good?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

- How many placements??
My colleague chose 80 Management placements and 80 Automatic placements for each adgroup.

I feel they are too many placements, but is this normal for Display Network advertisement?

This all varies on the product/service. With The display network I generally choose the most amount of placements that are relevant and watch them and see which ones are converting and pause the ones that are not.

Or how many placements are generally considered good?

As stated in the first question this varies. Just keep a close eye on the placements.

Automatic placements are better than Manual placements?

I checked my company's history of conversions of Display Network, and Automatic placements brought better conversions than Manual placements.

Is it because Automatic placements are always better?

Or simply my colleague chose the wrong ones??

Google does have a general idea of where your ad should show. Now this again varies on the product/service. I handled a client that sold self defense dvds and auto placements worked great. On the other hand I have another client that is a personal injury lawyer and their campaign works best when I manage the placements.

Managed placements. http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=99502

Auto Placements http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=99463

There is also new option in the dispaly network tab where you can target by topic, gender, age etc..  http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497832

Hope this helps.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi 193London,

How many placements?

I think (may be others won't) there is no limit and 80 placements are not many because it is not necessary that all 80 placements with work for you. Some of them will contribute properly and some not. You even need to weed out underperforming placements and sarch for new placements to test and manage. Adwords is all about testing new keywords, placments, strategies etc.

Automatic placements are better than Manual placements?

This is an open ended question and I don't think you can find out "one" sure shot answer for this because this depends on business models. For some automatics works better and for some managed placements. If you want to be very specific for example suppose I am running adwords campaing to promote "Spine Surgery" & Cancer Surgery. I want spine surgery ads to be appear only on placements that are specific to Spine Surgery & similary for Cancer surgery ads I want to target specific placements to Cancer surgery, In this case managed placements with do all help.

But suppose you want your have mix adcopy that says "All Surgeries" you can choose automatic placements to show ads on medical related placements.

Here I will say, you can add placements that performed well in Automatic Method as Managed placements and can assign individual bid to each placement. And as you analyze that automatic performs well, you can keep this as a normal practice. You can create two seperate campaign one for "Automatic Placements" & one for "Managed Placements".  

I would strongly recommend you to go through links given by LawyerCentral.

Above are some of my thoughts may very from others! Smiley Happy

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much!

I think I should keep testing Smiley Wink