AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network, first steps, bad results

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have started adwords 2 years ago with Search. Two days ago I come back with Display and I'm a little confused, so I posted here to receive your feedback

I have created a Display Only campaign and different ad groups per ad type: images adtype, text adtype.

I used the same target for all of them, Topic targeting.

Daily budget: $2000.

The campaigns have take a long time to start but now I see some Impresions but only a few clicks. CTR: 0.28% (is good, bad, normal?) I have increased the CPC max to $1. Actual CPC is $0.30 (I think is very expensive, in search I normally paid less...)

Screen form yesterday:

So, my questions are, what I'm doing wrong? Why I'm not recieving clicks? What targetings you suggest to get the max clicks?

I have different products, and I can create new ones for each category in the world. So, what you recommend in my case?

Thank you,

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display Network, first steps, bad results

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi David,

Welcome to the community. For me, I am not able to see the screenshot. So, I cannot comment on that.

Regarding targeting, I have some suggestions.

1) Based on your objective, carefully choose your targeting. If you wish to use keywords to reach out to your targets, then please choose contextual targeting. This method of targeting uses the keywords or topics you’ve chosen to match your ads to relevant sites.
2) Placements: What type of placement method are you using? Is it auto or managed? If you do wish to exclude unwanted placements to get useless clicks, please go for managed placements. You can use Display Planner to identify possible placements.
3) Are you using frequency capping?, If not, please do so to deliver unique user experience. This can be don through Advanced settings.
4) Interests and Topics: Please carefully select topics and interests that are relevant to your business or industry. This will help you reach out to audience with specific interests.
5) Low CTR: Do not worry about low CTR. In GDN, we tend to get low CTR compared to search network.
6) Exclude mobile apps, categories and sites: If you do not wish to see your ad on mobile apps, please exclude mobile apps through your settings. Also exclude unwanted sites and categories that re irrelevant to you.

I hope this helps.
Kapil M

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Kapil, I will take all you said in mind.

BTW, what you think about my CPC MAX? $1, there is some way to check the CPC average per country? I think I'm overpaying but I need clicks, so, I don't know what we can do to get more clicks paying less.

Thanks,

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi David,

If you think with CPC of $1, you would earn high then it's fine. Your ROI completely depends on what type of return you are expecting. Let say there are two situations:

1) Datasheet download and 2) Online sales

In both these scenarios, you have to have different approaches in determining the CPC. In datasheet download, it is an overall value that a marketer is generating through his ads and in online sales, it is his sales volume. Hence, both the things need different approach.

The final decision is yours.

I hope this helps.
Kapil M

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi David,

The Search and Display networks are still really rather different in their use for advertising purposes.  Search Campaigns display Ads to potential customers based upon a positive intent to research or buy an item or service, Display Campaigns show Ads to people whether they are interested in that product or not.  As such, the usual best practice is that Search is more effective for direct response advertising, i.e. where you're looking for customers ready to buy, while Display is more useful for branding.  This is something of a generalisation since the difference between the two will depend to some extent upon the product(s)/service(s) being advertised but it's largely true.

So, the first thing you should consider in my opinion is whether you're even targeting the right network.  If you're looking for direct sales - if you're selling something online through an ecommerce site, for example - Search is almost certainly going to be the more effective network of the two.  If your product is something that people might buy on impulse (rather than actively searching) or if you're looking to increase brand awareness of a high-street outlet for example, then Display may be more appropriate.

As far as CTR and CPC goes, CTR on the Display Network is always lower than Search and this makes sense when you consider the difference between the way Ads are presented, as described above.  Although there are no rules for CTR, figures below 1% are not uncommon (although of course you should always look to improve!).  For CPC, just like Search, there are no guidelines so it's impossible to give any meaningful advice.  2 years is an eternity in Internet terms so it could well be that prices have simply increased over that time, for any number of reasons.

If you're looking at ecommerce sales, you should look at your CPC in terms of your Return on Investment (Advertising Spend) rather than in absolute terms.  $1 a click is an awful lot if you only make $3 profit per sale, but it's virtually nothing if every sale nets you $3000 (assuming you get a conversion more than once per 3000 clicks!).

Give us some more information about what you're advertising - no need to go into specifics - and we may be able to give some more tailored advice.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

Thank you, I appreciate your time and answer.

I'm targeting one country,one carrier, for this reason I can not use Search, because as you know is not possible to target carriers since the change of enhanced campaigns.

So, I'm trying to have a direct response with Display, is not a good idea, but is the only channel of traffic that can bring to me lots of clicks by targeting carrier.

So, what you will do to get lot of clicks and CPC under $0.20, supposing you can create products for each category in the world?

Seems not realistic but this is my case.

Thanks in advance,

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi David, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "carrier".  Are you targeting only mobile devices of a particular OS or network operator?

If so, I don't see that necessarily as a reason for not using Search.  Even if you're advertising, say, an Android only app, Android users do still use Google Search (I'm one, right here).  There's no reason why your advertising couldn't use appropriate Keywords to show relevant Ads pointing to a page showing info and a QR code to download the app.

Can you share some more details?

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

You are right, but my product only works with an specific network operator in a specific country. So, I can not do it through search if I want a good ROI.

I hope that it helps to understand my problems and to a way to maximize my campaigns.

Thank you,

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi David, OK, it may be that Search is difficult, but I'd still argue it's not impossible.  I can imagine Ads that read something like:

Are You Using Orange?

Try Our New App, Just $XX.

Download From the Play Store Now!

Anyway.  Are you targeting the actual Display network, or targeting Mobile Apps?

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

Thank your for the tip, it could work if at least I could target mobile, but my product is not a mobile application is a webapp, so search will show my app for the desktop users as well. I have hear that you can create a desktop ad and a mobile ad and give a 0 QS to the desktop ad in order to get little impresions, but sounds complicated and a lot of try and error, so I decided to start with Display where I can target by network carrier and country. (If you wanna try it, I give my budget Smiley Tongue)

I'm working with display network and also mobile apps. My goal is to get a lot of clicks under $0.20 but I'm finding the following problem:

I create a campaign with a CPC max of $1, after 4 hours the campaign suddently starts and give me 200 clicks in a few minutes but the CPC is $0.33 (more or less). So, I reduce the max CPC to 0.30$ and the traffic stops and I receive a click every 2 minutes. 

I have to narrow my target to get more clicks? Now I'm selecting the Topic: Games

Sounds logic that the number of clicks depends on the CTR, but seems that is more important the CPC. I'm right?

Jon, is possible to contact you?

Thank you,