AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network -- What does "safeframe' mean ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Recently I started my first Adwords campaign on the Display Network, starting with six image ads in various sizes, and specifing ten placement sites to show them on.

So far my logs show that nearly all of the clicks have the following referer:

http://tpc.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-2/html/container.html

Does this mean that my site's landing page is displayed to the clicker inside a frame? If so, I really don't understand why Google would do it this way.

I want people to come directly to my site, and not see it inside a frame. If it is being shown in a frame, I might decide to cancal the campaign.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Display Network -- What does "safeframe' mean ?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Billy,

I would like to share what I know about safeframes so that you can have a better understanding of it. 

Typically Banner Ads are served using iframes on publishers' websites'. The aim of doing so is that the publisher's website, it's design/codes etc are not affected by any script that the adserver is using to serve ads on the website. But iframes have limitations and if an external JS is used to overcome these limitations, this external JS can create conflicts with publishers websites' existing codes. This is where SafeFrames come in. 

Safeframe is an innovative approach that enhances the way ad is delivered on publisher website, and at the same time it also allows the measurement of viewable impressions. 

More about Safeframe can be read at IAB's website

Now let me come to your primary concern, your landing page is not being served in an iframe, your banners may be using safeframes while being displayed on publisher's websites. I will repeat, it means your ads reside in iframes, not your landing page. When somebody clicks your ads, they are taken to your landing pages in a normal widow, not in an iframe. 

Hope that clears your doubt. 

(edited for typo)

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Billy,

I don't think that Google AdWords would show any sort of landing page in an iframe. I couldn't find any material on this online either which leads me to believe that this is some kind of reporting error on the interface.

Let me try and get our community managers to help you out here.

@KathleenG@Mini-CM Can you guys help us out here?

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Billy,

I would like to share what I know about safeframes so that you can have a better understanding of it. 

Typically Banner Ads are served using iframes on publishers' websites'. The aim of doing so is that the publisher's website, it's design/codes etc are not affected by any script that the adserver is using to serve ads on the website. But iframes have limitations and if an external JS is used to overcome these limitations, this external JS can create conflicts with publishers websites' existing codes. This is where SafeFrames come in. 

Safeframe is an innovative approach that enhances the way ad is delivered on publisher website, and at the same time it also allows the measurement of viewable impressions. 

More about Safeframe can be read at IAB's website

Now let me come to your primary concern, your landing page is not being served in an iframe, your banners may be using safeframes while being displayed on publisher's websites. I will repeat, it means your ads reside in iframes, not your landing page. When somebody clicks your ads, they are taken to your landing pages in a normal widow, not in an iframe. 

Hope that clears your doubt. 

(edited for typo)

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks very much for your explanation. It helps a lot.

I would also like to ask why a few of the clicks don't appear to come from a safeframe, but instead come from:

http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/ads...

Most clicks come from a safeframe, but a few come from this doubleclick referer-- What is the difference?

thanks again

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

can you tell me how to create sameframe so i can use iframes on my website