3.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network Targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello i have a problem with display network placements in adwords. I am wondering why there is always irrelevant sites included in my display network placements. Every time, i sort out the irrelevant, there is always coming more every time i refresh my page. can you help me?

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lasse R
September 2015

Re: Display Network Targeting

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

In order to start offering advice, I need some details about your current Display campaign setup, in respect of targeting and exclusions.

Have you added some targeting to filter Display traffic, such as keywords ?

Have you added negative keywords for that campaign and excluded some categories ?

Have you excluded the mobile apps and the anonymous.google placement ?

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

HI lasse,

If you are not aware of it you can exlude certain placement categories from showing your ads.

exclusions.png

Thanks,

Siva.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Lasse,

Basically you ads are getting triggered via automatic placements hence there are many irrelevant placements that your campaign is acquiring.

if you are worried for getting your ads placed on wrong placements. Then i would suggest you to make a Managed placement campaign. This will give you a complete control over where you want to show your ads.

Here is the link you should look into to get started with Managed Placements:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/99502?hl=en
Azeem Shaikh
SEM Freelancer & Consultant.
Adwords & Bing Ads Certified Individual.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for all your help both, i have resolved it by disabling everything in placement categories, so i assume that i will not get anymore anoying irrelevant sites. thank you guys!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

In order to start offering advice, I need some details about your current Display campaign setup, in respect of targeting and exclusions.

Have you added some targeting to filter Display traffic, such as keywords ?

Have you added negative keywords for that campaign and excluded some categories ?

Have you excluded the mobile apps and the anonymous.google placement ?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

HI lasse,

If you are not aware of it you can exlude certain placement categories from showing your ads.

exclusions.png

Thanks,

Siva.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello, i have excluded all in campaign placements exclusions. i doesnt appear that the placements is being pointed to my keywords, so I work on doing the placement in display network, my self in that way only to have relevant sites. But every time, i have deleted the sites google automatically has added, there is more sites. How do i stop this, so there is only sites manualy added which appear?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Lasse,

Basically you ads are getting triggered via automatic placements hence there are many irrelevant placements that your campaign is acquiring.

if you are worried for getting your ads placed on wrong placements. Then i would suggest you to make a Managed placement campaign. This will give you a complete control over where you want to show your ads.

Here is the link you should look into to get started with Managed Placements:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/99502?hl=en
Azeem Shaikh

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Azeem

It is prescisely what i want, to set it to managed placements. How do i do that, i cant find it anywere?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Just create a new Display Network campaign rather than editing the old one. This will help you analyze the performance in more detailed manner.

After you make a campaign, add a new adgroup name it accordingly. Rest of the procedure is given in the link below.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471182

Adding more, from under Tools tab in the interface click on it Select "Display planner" and start finding the placements.

Here is how to use Display Planner link:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3056115

All the best!
Azeem Shaikh

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Are you using a campaign Search Network with Display Select ? Sice you have not given details about your targeting, my guess is that impressions for Placements are triggered automatically by this type of campaign.

Otherwise to get impressions in Display you would have needed some sort of targeting, even a gender or some age segments are still a poor targeting method , but they are enough to serve Display traffic.

In this case just switch to Search network only - All features and create a new Display Campaign where you can use a targeting such as placements + keywords. Keep in mind that Targeting is per ad group, not per campaign.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

On making the first adgroup select targeting method to "Use a different targeting method" after you select this option you will get further options of targeting "Topics" & "Placements". Select the placements and start adding the relevant ones.

Here is the snap shot for more clarification.managed Placements

Azeem Shaikh

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for all your help both, i have resolved it by disabling everything in placement categories, so i assume that i will not get anymore anoying irrelevant sites. thank you guys!