4.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network Targeting

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

I am confused about how the targeting is working on the display network for one of my clients...

Here's the thing...

We have various options - placements, interests, topics and remarketing lists.

Later we have gender, age, etc, but those are obvious....

My question then is this...

If I select a placement, and then a remarketing list - how do these combine?

Will my ad appear to all users who visit the placement - and all people on my remarketing list

or - will it only appear to people who are on my remarketing list when thay are on one of the placement sites?

I spoke to someone at Google and their answer was that the former was the case. But when you look at the graphic with the circles, the shaded circles overlap and this suggests that the latter is true...

Can someone explain?

Thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author stickleback
September 2015

Re: Display Network Targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Steve;

The "AND" condition applies. (As you can see in the "circles diagram" - also known as Venn diagram -  at the side of the targeting methods)

Thus your last option holds

It only appears to people who are on my re marketing list when they are on one of the placement sites

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author stickleback
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Steve;

The "AND" condition applies. (As you can see in the "circles diagram" - also known as Venn diagram -  at the side of the targeting methods)

Thus your last option holds

It only appears to people who are on my re marketing list when they are on one of the placement sites

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Thanks - that's what I had tought - but the Google consultant told me differently..... thanks for letting me know I'm not going mad!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Though, I should add that Calin; one of our Top Contributors; has found that with demographic targeting (gender , age) the OR condition applies. This is still being looked by Google, But, this was not the topic of your question, so I did not mention it.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

That doesn't make as much sense... why would it be "or"... if I want men who visit a placement I would select the placement page and then the gender = men.

I don't want it to be men and women which visit this site - or anyone who is a man... I definitely want that to be an "and" condition - so only people who visit this site, and who are men....

I need to understand this - and right now, I don't.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@stickleback;

You misunderstood; That would only happen if you used Remarketing  + gender/ age... - Whether this is a bug or intended  is being looked by Google; (I will ask Calin to join and elaborate )

If you target Remarketing and placements/ topics/ keywords - the AND condition applies -These are most  common targeting scenarios on display.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi, guys. I'll try my best, at first in short form just to prevent high blood pressures Smiley Happy and then if I can draw something maybe it'll be even clearer.

Since I last wrote my post, the text labels in the targeting options have changed. It now shows you:

- target and bid

- bid only

You can use, in any ad group, keywords, placements, topics (which are website-related), interests & remarketing, gender and age. All of them, if you want. Targeting and bidding combinations are explained here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882?hl=en

But the idea is that if you choose "target and bid", in order for your ad to show, it has to match in case you use all targeting possibilities, at least a "complete path" through all options. Assuming you target all, and choose "target and bid", you need to have at least one keyword match, a placement match, a topic match, an interest category match, a gender and an age match. That's why the Venn diagram shows an intersection.

If you choose "bid only", ads can show even if there's no match in each of the targeting methods, but one of the bids, according to the logic in the link above, is going to be used.

For instance you could say: ok, I want automatic placements, but I also include a few managed placements, and just in case my ad has a chance to show there, I'll bid higher for that. You can also use an interest category, and bid higher for that, and so on, while still staying "wide targeted" via the "Bid only" radio button. If you play with the radio button you'll also see, visually, that the reach increases when the second option is chosen.

Moving to the "interest categories" and "remarketing lists" combinations. As you can see, you enter remarketing lists and interest categories in the same tab. So they cannot be intersected. You cannot go to that tab, enter remarketing list A and Interest category B and choose "bid only", because the system only sees one targeting method (Interests and Categories).

If you want targeting of the "people on my remarketing list interested in "Food and Drink"", you need to create a custom list yourself, and then place it in the Interests and Categories section. If you place both these lists (remarketing and an interest category) next to each other in the Interests ... tab, ads will show for any of the two.

Is it clearer now?

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Calin;

To conclude:

• If you target Remarketing +  "people oriented" ( = demographic, interest) the OR condition applies;
  • If you target Remarketing + "sites oriented" ( = places; topics) the AND condition applies.

Did I get it right?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Moshe, not quite.

Let's say you choose a placement and remarketing. If you choose the first option, your ads will show only when someone on your remarketing list visits that website. If you choose the second, ads will show for people on your remarketing list on any site.

If you choose to combine remarketing lists with gender and age and you choose AND, again, ads will only show when both targeting methods match. If you choose or, ads may show for someone on your remarketing list but of another age.

I assume you can enter "bid only" for all six targeting methods, and then ads will show anywhere, but when certain targeting methods are matched, a certain bid will be used (even if you bid differently on each).

Interesting, I should say Smiley Happy.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Calin

Yep; I think I got you right the first time; I always go with "bid + targeting"