2.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network Targeting- display keywords VS topics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What is the difference between targeting by display keywords and topics? I read from Google Help, it seems to me that both are targeting website with content for a certain keywords. 

Please help. 

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joyce Kan
September 2015

Re: Display Network Targeting- display keywords VS topics

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Topics Targeting
You don't add any keywords you just choose the topic you want and let adwords place your ads on websites pages about this topic . Say for e.g you choose topic sports , your ads are gonna show on sports websites pages only.

Keyword Targeting
By adding some relative keyword to you business , adwords system start analyzing the content of websites pages and try to match it with your keywords, when your keywords match the concept and the content of these page , your ad will be available to show on these pages.

You can use topic targeting in combination with keyword targeting or vice verse. In this situation, your ad is gonna appear only on pages that match the topic you've selected and the keyword you've targeted.

Read more about Topics targeting:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497832?hl=en

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello there;

In principle you are correct;

Both keywords and Topics use the same contextual targeting to find relevant pages.

However; in topics Google has (pre) aggregated the websites under  common subjects (= topics).

With keywords alone, the system determines a theme (related to the list of keywords) and tries to match the theme to relevant content on web pages.

My favorites is a combination of topics and keywords. You could then target specific pages within topics based on the theme (of the keywords).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hi Marlon,

Judging by what you have explained here, I believe you have to take up the 5th option. Let me explain this in detail. Firstly, when you run a Managed Placement campaign/adgroup, you are automatically telling AdWords that you want to target that particular page/URL irrespective of any targeting that you set at Campaign level.

AdWords will show your ad as much as possible (also dependent on your bids here) on that particular placement. The only measure of control that you have here with respect to showing your ads here is 'Frequency Cap'. Frequency Cap basically lets you limit the number of times your ads are shown to the same user and in your case, the number of times your ad is shown on the managed placement page to a single user.

If your campaign goal here is to maximize the number of impressions, I suggest you increase the frequency cap to say like 10 - 20 and test if it makes a difference on your Impression numbers.

Read more on Frequency Cap here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/117579

Another approach you could use here is look at individual Image ad statistics and check which particular size variation gets you the most impression/traffic. It could be the case that not all you image size variations are being shown on the placement as it does not have the appropriate ad slot. So you need to pause such ad variations with low or no impressions and concentrate more on the better performing ad size variations.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Topics Targeting
You don't add any keywords you just choose the topic you want and let adwords place your ads on websites pages about this topic . Say for e.g you choose topic sports , your ads are gonna show on sports websites pages only.

Keyword Targeting
By adding some relative keyword to you business , adwords system start analyzing the content of websites pages and try to match it with your keywords, when your keywords match the concept and the content of these page , your ad will be available to show on these pages.

You can use topic targeting in combination with keyword targeting or vice verse. In this situation, your ad is gonna appear only on pages that match the topic you've selected and the keyword you've targeted.

Read more about Topics targeting:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497832?hl=en

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello there;

In principle you are correct;

Both keywords and Topics use the same contextual targeting to find relevant pages.

However; in topics Google has (pre) aggregated the websites under  common subjects (= topics).

With keywords alone, the system determines a theme (related to the list of keywords) and tries to match the theme to relevant content on web pages.

My favorites is a combination of topics and keywords. You could then target specific pages within topics based on the theme (of the keywords).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thats very helpful. Thank you to both. 

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Joyce Kan wrote:

Joyce Kan wrote:

Hi Joyce Kan,

Moshe and Ahmed answered your question but just a small addition. Moshe mentioned:

'... in topics Google has (pre) aggregated the website....'

In interests and categouries Google has preagregated websites, in topics Google has preagregated webpages or articles on a website.
So with keywords you define a theme, with topics an article or a webpage, and with interests the website.

Of course you can combine all of them together.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
My situation a bit different. I am targeting a specific page using managed placements. My goal: get the most impressions with image ads.

In my adgroup, I have two keywords. Looking at the stats, one keyword gives more impressions than the other. My question: in order to achieve more impressions, do I

1) remove one or both keywords
2) add more keywords,
3) consider topics for this specific URL
4) test topics AND keywords
5) just target the URL and not include keyword or topic.

I spoke with my Google Rep and couldn't get a clear answer. I hope someone can chime in on this.

Thanks,
Marlon
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hi Marlon,

Judging by what you have explained here, I believe you have to take up the 5th option. Let me explain this in detail. Firstly, when you run a Managed Placement campaign/adgroup, you are automatically telling AdWords that you want to target that particular page/URL irrespective of any targeting that you set at Campaign level.

AdWords will show your ad as much as possible (also dependent on your bids here) on that particular placement. The only measure of control that you have here with respect to showing your ads here is 'Frequency Cap'. Frequency Cap basically lets you limit the number of times your ads are shown to the same user and in your case, the number of times your ad is shown on the managed placement page to a single user.

If your campaign goal here is to maximize the number of impressions, I suggest you increase the frequency cap to say like 10 - 20 and test if it makes a difference on your Impression numbers.

Read more on Frequency Cap here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/117579

Another approach you could use here is look at individual Image ad statistics and check which particular size variation gets you the most impression/traffic. It could be the case that not all you image size variations are being shown on the placement as it does not have the appropriate ad slot. So you need to pause such ad variations with low or no impressions and concentrate more on the better performing ad size variations.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

If you are targeting a specific page, as explained by @ShashankSingh - you don't need to target by keywords.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks a lot, really it is helpful for new comer. like me