AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network Question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi friends, What if I've setup my campaign for "display network" and my adgroup has both KEYWORDS & PLACEMENTS (list of websites)... now i've two questions here: 1) as far as placement is concerned i understand that my ads will be placed on respective websites, however, is Google also going to take into consideration my list of keywords to find suitable match (ie. are my ads also going to be placed on sites other than my list of websites (on the basis of keywords)??? 2) as far as display network advertising is concerned on google, will my campaign get contextual advertising (keyword based highlighting within content) as well as side / top links advertising on a web page (like google search)??? Thanks, Linda
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display Network Question

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Linda,

Well you choose both keywords and placements targeting, it is also called contextual targeting. I found some text for you from Learning Center - Hope it clears your doubt.

First Question:

>> How Keywords and Managed Placements Work Together - Specific Reach

When you use both keywords and managed placements together in an ad group, the following two things affect how and where your ad will be shown:

Step 1 - Keywords always do their work first.

When an ad group has keywords, the AdWords system always starts by looking through every possible page in the Google Display Network to find content that matches those keywords. This happens automatically. AdWords takes contextual matching down to the page level. If a placement has many different pages, only those pages that match your keywords can show your ads.

Step 2 - Managed placements further control where your ads may appear.

Managed placements ensure your ads appear on specific placements you've chosen. If you further restrict your network ad delivery to "Show ads only on pages that match all selected targeting methods," your ads will show only on the specific sites where you want them to appear. Your ads can appear only on your chosen placements, and only when pages on those placements also match your keywords.

You'll be choosing the set of placements where your ad can show, but contextual targeting will determine the pages where your ad will show within that set of placements. (You don't have to add keywords. In which case, your ad can show anywhere on the placements you choose, even if your ad doesn't precisely match the content on those placements.)

If you want your ads to show anywhere on a given placement, without regard to contextual matching, then create an ad group with placements only, and set your campaign settings to "Show ads only on pages that match all selected targeting methods." That way your placement choices (and the AdWords auction) will be the only factor involved in where your ad can appear.

>> How Keywords and  Placements Work Together - Braod Reach

If you have keywords in your ad group and are targeting the Display Network, we use contextual targeting to automatically determine placements where your ads appear. This is what we mean by "automatic placements."

Contextual targeting means that the AdWords system automatically starts by looking through every possible page in the Google Display Network to find content that matches those keywords. AdWords takes contextual matching down to the page level. If a placement has many different pages, only those pages that match your keywords can show your ads.

Second Question: Your ads will only appear on display network(webistes, blogs etc.) not on search network(Google Search). 

hope it helps!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: contextual targeting. Specific reach vs broad reach

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Linda308;

The text Neha referred to is presented / re-written in a table format, on the help center - easier to understand;

Check this link:

Where ads appear on the Display Network depending on your targeting methods;

And to wrap are your question: Boolean algebra rules:

• If you chose specific reach (my personal favorite) your ads will be shown only if BOTH conditions met. (i.e. a web page on the placement list, that its content correlates to keywords by using contextual targeting.)
  • If you prefer "broad reach" : Your ads will be shown on any web page (across all the display network), where contextual targeting finds a correlation between your keywords and the page content.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’