1.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network - Keyword Targeting

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I get the option of "Bid Only" or "Target and bid" only after I add another targeting option like "Topics", "Interests or Remarketing" etc.

How to I set my targeting for Display keywords as "Target and bid" without having to add another targeting option?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
May 2016

Re: Display Network - Keyword Targeting

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Prasad P

How to I set my targeting for Display keywords as "Target and bid" without having to add another targeting option?

If you use Keywords targeting, you can not use the Target and bid. The concept of Target and Bid only is to show up the ads two different targeting combination. But if you are targeting only Keywords, that's why AdWords does not supports Target and Bid option at the keywords level.

Start Investing in Display Network with These Golden Tips

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Prasad

There is no definite answer to your question here as to where you should use 'Target & Bid' & where 'Bid Only'.

We can't predict that Where you should use 'Target & Bid' & where 'Bid Only'.

This totally depends on your strategy that you would like to implement.

To explain this better, Please find below the details:-

Target & Bid - You can use this for the following:- 

• Keywords + placements
  • Audiences + age
  • Keywords + topics
  • Remarketing + gender
  • Topics + audiences

Bid Only - You can use this for the following:-

• Placements

If your campaigns have a keyword "bba admission" within your Ad Group and you have also added one placement "Shiksha.com". here you can find 2 scenario:-

1.) Your ads will only appear on "Shiksha.com", when your keyword "bba admission" will match within the particular pages of the site "Shiksha.com"

Thus,

Target and Bid: Your ads will Show only on placements you have already selected.

when you see the venn diagram, it will help to understand the concept. 

Please find below the attached screenshot of Venn Diagram.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByPz51L7FejLVDliT05lWG5KSjQ/view?usp=sharing

2.) If you want to show on sites based on your keyword e.g "bba admission", but you think that your potential customers visit specific website "shiksha.com", thus you can add "shiksha.com" as placement in your ad group and select "Bid only." Then, you could set a bid on the selected placements (which you have already added in the Ad Group) to increase your chances of showing there when your keyword matches that placement.

Bid only: Show ads on any placement when it matches other targeting methods in your ad group, like display keywords and topics.

Please find below the attached screenshot of Venn Diagram.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByPz51L7FejLb2VMYzJsWWxPM0E/view?usp=sharing

2) Bid only option allows you to place your ads in all those places where any one of your targeting requirements are fulfilled

3) Bid only reaches to a higher no. of people with a less probability of good relevancy
Read more

If you want to Read More and Target Bid Vs. Bid Only option - Here you can see the Table of Target Bid Vs. Bid Only - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/7008650

I hope this will help you.

Thanks

Anand

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
May 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Prasad P

If you use Keywords targeting, you can not use the Target and bid. The concept of Target and Bid only is to show up the ads two different targeting combination. But if you are targeting only Keywords, that's why AdWords does not supports Target and Bid option at the keywords level.

Start Investing in Display Network with These Golden Tips

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Couple of points:
1- In Display advertising you can choose multiple targeting dimensions (e.g. Keywords, Topic, Gender, etc.). When you do that, each time you add a new "target-and-bid" dimension, you are in effect narrowing the reach of your ad-group (which means your ads show ONLY at the intersection of all targeting dimensions).
2- Some dimensions can be set to "Target and Bid" or "Bid Only". What do these terms mean?
-- Target and Bid: If a dimension is set to Target and Bid, it will narrow the reach of your ad-group.
- Bid-only: If a dimension is set to Bid-only, it has no impact on your reach. It will only enable you to get a report IF an ad is served on a criteria that happens to match the ones in this dimension. For example, if you set Topics to Bid-only, and add "XYZ" topic as a criterion, any ads that happen to match that condition in the auction will be reported to you under "Topic" tab. If you want to bid-up or bid-down those specific topics in the auction by adjusting the bid for each criterion in the Topic tab.
3- Keyword dimension is the only one that is always "Target and bid". If you add a keyword, it automatically narrows your reach because it becomes Target and Bid by default.

Hope this helps.

Masoud