AdWords
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Display Network: Are text ads bidding against image ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Display Network: Are text ads bidding against image ads?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Display Network: Are text ads bidding against image ads?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello, Firouzeh.

If I understand your question correctly, then the answer is yes. There are situations, on the display network, where an ad slot can be used either by text ads or by image ads (see this link for some large text ads: https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/6002585 ).

When such situations occur, text ads may compete against image ads for the same slot. You may have to use CPM bidding for that to happen, though, as explained here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2630842?hl=en

"CPM text ads can have a special edge: when they win a placement, they're sometimes given the entire ad space, rather than sharing the space with other text ads. That makes them more likely to be noticed."

Hope it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Firouzeh L,

Can you please elaborate your query?

Thanks,
Kaushik
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello, Firouzeh.

If I understand your question correctly, then the answer is yes. There are situations, on the display network, where an ad slot can be used either by text ads or by image ads (see this link for some large text ads: https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/6002585 ).

When such situations occur, text ads may compete against image ads for the same slot. You may have to use CPM bidding for that to happen, though, as explained here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2630842?hl=en

"CPM text ads can have a special edge: when they win a placement, they're sometimes given the entire ad space, rather than sharing the space with other text ads. That makes them more likely to be noticed."

Hope it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, the reason I asked is we had to increase max CPC when we changed form text ads to image ads to get similar # of impressions, which made it seem like image ads and text ads competed differently. Note that for our campaign we have limited our placement to 18 specific sites.
Do you have any further insights into why we saw the results we did?

Fi

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I also get the same results and I think that this is due to the fact that text ads can show in smaller units or parts of units, where competition is lower. Image ads, on the other hand, take up more space, compete against other image ads, have fewer units available and all of these conditions lead to a higher CPC.

Text ads can get children discounts Smiley Wink. Image ads pay the full price.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Firouzeh.

A text ad, or the space occupied by the text ad, is considered one ad unit. Image ads can occupy mulitple ad units, so you need to bid accordingly. I usually organize a display campaign ad groups by the number of units the images occupy, And I will usually either include a text ad in each ad group or create a separate ad group for the text ad as a fallback.

Best of LUck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords