Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Display Campaign Targeting Methods

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Community!
I have the following question. I have a Display campaign and wanted to test which targeting method performs the best, e.g. display keywords, placements, interests &  remarketing. For this purpose I created different Ad Groups within this campaign with the very same ads. 

Ad Group 1 targets keywords

Ad Group 2 targets placements

Ad Group 3 targets In-market audience

My question, therefore, is: Do these Ad Groups compete between each other in any way? If I Take Ad Group 1, shall I then exclude from this Ad Group the placements that I target in Ad Group 2 and the In-market audience I target in Ad Group 3?

Thanx in advance!
Regards,

Anastasiia

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Nope. On display, they all can win a slot on a given page.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

"Do these Ad Groups compete between each other in any way?"

Not really... Display targeting is a different critter than search. You use the targeting methods to help identify your target audience. That audience may fit into any or all of these adgroups depending on the circumstances.

I think you're on the right track to begin to identify your audience through display. Once you get some more data in, you could find that a combination of KW's, placements, and in market audiences in the same adgroup works best for you.

Tom