Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Display Advertising Best Practices

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello forum,

I'm running a Display Advertising Campaign for a plastic surgeon. She gave me 12 display ads to run. They are all pretty similar looking. They are 4 sets of 3 banners.

1 in 300 x 250 with Image A

1 in 300 x 60 with Image A

1 in 728 x 90 with Image A

1 in 300 x 250 with Image B

1 in 300 x 60 with Image B

1 in 728 x 90 with Image B

1 in 300 x 250 with Image C

1 in 300 x 60 with Image C

1 in 728 x 90 with Image C

1 in 300 x 250 with Image D

1 in 300 x 60 with Image D

1 in 728 x 90 with Image D

They all have the logo, image and a "schedule a consultation" -- The only difference between them is the image(difference being the model who is posing)

My question is, is Display Advertising like Search Advertising where the Ads have to match the landing page? 

Because all my Ads say "schedule a consultation" do I have to match them up with landing pages the schedule a consultation link or can I put the ads on on an ad with  chemical peel landing page.

Thanks!!Screenshot 2017-04-18 23.22.28.png

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Nope;

The targeing on the display network works differently;

Here is an article about the topic;

Display Network - How Many Targeting Methods to choose?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks a bunch for the article. 

However, 

I'm still unclear about how to match image ads to keywords and landing pages. Can you expand on that?

Thanks!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hector C
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You don't match keywords to images. Keywords collectively define a theme which is matched to content on web pages. If the content on a given  page is  found to match  the theme, then  your image ad enters the auction and competes  for an ad slot on this page.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Hector C,

As @MosheTLV noted targeting on the display network works differently. Very little is documented as to how quality score is calculated on the display network. What I'd like to suggest you is to match image ads to keywords and landing pages so as to make sure users click your image ad when they see it and like your landing page when they land on it. (Chances are Google algorithms regard an image ad as an "image" and do not read the text on it. Users do.) In case you stick to this rule of thumb, even the most hidden metrics will work in your favor no matter how much information AdWords discloses.

Best,

Lakatos