AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Disabling mobile devices on Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

Started using adwords a few days ago. 

After the first day, I found my budget was used within an hour or so, all from mobile devices, which spent an average of 9 seconds each on the site!

Since then I disabled mobile devices following the following thread: 

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/How-to-disable-ads-for-mobile-tab...

However, I have just had a look at today's traffic, and the biggest source (9 clicks) is again mobile devices..

Will I be refunded for these clicks if I contact Google since they are disabled in campaign settings > devices?

Help appreciated!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author bonjourne
September 2015

Re: Disabling mobile devices on Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I called Google this morning, problem is the following:

I'm seeing mobile clicks through cpc because these users are returning to the site on their mobiles, checking order status etc and Google still classifies them as cpc users.

Thanks for the help!

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Bonjourne,

The first thing I would do is just double check to ensure that all of your campaigns have a mobile bid modifier that says "-100%" just in case you missed a campaign or have added a campaign since then.

If all of your campaigns have a negative bid modifier, I would contact AdWords. You can reach out to them using the link in the top right hand corner of this page, in the toolbar.

One more thing to be aware of - even though you have negated mobile, you will still get tablet traffic. Unfortunately, there is no way to exclude tablets.

Hope this helps!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Bonjourne,

I'm a bit curious about the timeline of events here. If, for instance, you changed your mobile bid adjustments yesterday at 3:00PM and then today, reviewed your data that included yesterday, there would still be a chunk of data that includes the point before you made adjustments. So, first thing is to ensure you're reviewing the correct time ranges for your data.

I've personally never run into a case where I've applied -100% mobile bid adjustments and still received mobile traffic so I would say the likelihood of a refund is quite slim, there is more likely an issue with your settings.

Double check all of your bid adjustments and make sure you're not missing anything. One way to do this is to review where these mobile clicks originated and work backwards to ensure that particular ad groups and campaigns have the correct device adjustments in place. Also, it's important to note that if you have an ad group level adjustment, that will trump your campaign level adjustments.

I'd be really interested to hear what you find.  Hopefully, it's a simple fix and you can be on your way.

As a sidenote, ignoring mobile these days is not always the best route to take.  If you look at any normal source of data, news, trends for online advertising and general online commerce, you'll find that the mobile usage trends continue to rise - this shopping season (as with each recent year) will see the greatest volume of not only searches but transactions completed on mobile devices ever.  

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi All,

Sorry for the delay.

When I log into adwords, it shows no clicks on mobile devices. I only have one campaign and that's set to -100% for mobile devices.

Analytics, however, shows a different picture, over 10 visits through CPC per day were from iPhone's.

I'll be calling the helpdesk today so will keep you updated.

Thanks

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi bonjourne,

Where are you looking in Google Analytics? Although you've negated mobile clicks on AdWords ads, you could still be receiving organic mobile clicks.

Best,
Amy
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author bonjourne
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I called Google this morning, problem is the following:

I'm seeing mobile clicks through cpc because these users are returning to the site on their mobiles, checking order status etc and Google still classifies them as cpc users.

Thanks for the help!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
ah, yep, that makes sense! Thanks for posting your findings back to the forum!

Glad it is all figured out Smiley Happy