Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Dimensions > Geography > Stats - Particularly Clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My total Clicks in my Geo Dimensions report is way lower than the total click count under my ads or keywords,

Shouldn't the dimension stats be the same as ads, keyword, ad groups? - it accounts for "unspecified' and the like.

Thoughts?

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author James L
September 2015

Re: Dimensions > Geography > Stats - Particularly Clicks

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I don't think that going that far could provide reliable data. Geo targeting. Though the huge progress since (about) 2012 Geo targeting  is, still, in some locations, far from being perfect. Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi James,

I think trying to fetch data for dates as far back as 2004 was the reason you were facing this issue. As Moshe said, there has been huge progress on Geo targeting front in AdWords over the years. So if you think about it, If AdWords was not able to map traffic data to a particular location or specific location back in 2004 (before the updates), it wont be able to give you this data on an overall level.

I have faced similar scenarios in my accounts and sometimes, pulling data on a yearly or half yearly basis helps get the most accurate data as possible.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Well... There are two two Geo dimensions. And the total should.
However, the Geo report is updated in delay. (I have seen even up to about 48 hrs.)
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi James,

I agree with Moshe on this. I have seen delay in geo report being populated for upto 48 hours myself. If you look at Geo reports for the same day, stats for the same may not be reflected almost immediately and may take longer to be reflected against each geo.

AdWords does give us this message at bottom of the interface page: "Reporting is not real-time. Clicks and impressions received in the last three hours may not be included here.
There is an 18+ hour delay for some metrics."

Do check you Geo level data after a day or two and check if this is still the case.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Moshe - I wonder if since I am going as far 2004 in some cases if dimension geo data was not available?? I can deal with latency though however- Thanks again
And Thank you Shashank
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I don't think that going that far could provide reliable data. Geo targeting. Though the huge progress since (about) 2012 Geo targeting  is, still, in some locations, far from being perfect. Smiley Surprised

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi James,

I think trying to fetch data for dates as far back as 2004 was the reason you were facing this issue. As Moshe said, there has been huge progress on Geo targeting front in AdWords over the years. So if you think about it, If AdWords was not able to map traffic data to a particular location or specific location back in 2004 (before the updates), it wont be able to give you this data on an overall level.

I have faced similar scenarios in my accounts and sometimes, pulling data on a yearly or half yearly basis helps get the most accurate data as possible.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Guys - A Pleasure as always!

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Your Welcome James!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,