AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Diffrence Between Exit Rate and bounce rate?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Recently I had a interview where I face the question like what is bounce rate and exit rate?

I explained what I understand through the reference links but actually I am still confused. Can anybody help me to understand this concept simply. All the references giving a tough definitions.  

Please explain it a easy way.

Thanks in Advance.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Apoorva S,

I'll take a stab at this, but I would urge you to continue reading the help center docs to further assist you in gaining a clearer understanding of these and other concepts.

First, a bounce is a session that has no additional actions once the user lands on a landing page/website.  The user clicks an ad or organic listing, views the landing page and leaves the site without taking any additional actions. 

Bounce rate for a particular page is the % of sessions that displayed the behavior above, they visit the page, take no action and leave.

Exit rates are a bit different, this metric reflects the % of sessions where the user exited from the page in question. A user comes to the site, browses around, finds the information they were looking for and leaves.  Clearly no bounce occurred here as multiple actions have taken place.  But the final page in their session will register as the exit page, where they exited the site from.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2525491?hl=en

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Exit rate, at the page level, represents the percentage of pageviews that were the last in the session versus bounce rate which is the only in the session (bounce rate). So the key difference is last versus only pageview of a session. 

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
May

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Apoorva S!

Simply put, Exit Rate shows the rate in which users exit the page/site on that specific page, thus ending their session. These users typically have visited other pages on the website as well prior to leaving.

Bounce Rate shows the rate in which the session only had a single pageview during their session. No other action was taken. No other pages were visited.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

So we can say that exit rates is for pages. Like once a person land on your site and checking different pages in a session, when a person leaves the particular page that is the page exit rate. Am i right ?

My another question is when a persons leaves from the home page then why we count it as bounce not exit rate of home page ?