AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Different URL Entered in BOTH Keyword and Ad level. What Happens Now?

[ Edited ]
Q B
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Q B
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here's the scenario:

Adgroup - Blue Jeans

Keyword - Blue jeans, Final url: Jeans.com/blue

Ad - Buy Blue Jeans, Final url: Jeans.com/blue-scratch

Which url will show for the user? And is it stupid to have different urls in both the keyword and ad level when I want users to go to just 1 url? In this case, Jeans.com/blue-scratch

Is there any situation where you will set up the campaign like the above scenario?

Re: Different URL Entered in BOTH Keyword and Ad level. What Happens N

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Q B, how are things?

Google will always consider the deeper level URL as the final one, in this case, the keyword URL. The Ad by default must always have a Final URL, but if by any case you add a URL to the keyword level, Adwords will ignore the Ad URL and consider the keyword URL.

By what you have mentioned, if you want to direct users to "Jeans.com/blue-scratch", just remove the URL from the keyword and it's all set.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Q B
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Q B
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just don't see in any situation why one would put urls in both keyword and ad level. Do you? It just gets super confusing. No where in any best practice I've read about this situation.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Q B,

Since Ads are required for a campaign to run, there isn't a scenario where you would only have a URL on the keyword level, if that's what you're thinking.

Now the application for this may vary from advertiser for advertiser. There're 3rd party tool that creates tracking for each keywords, needing to use the URL on the keyword level for that.

Also, one could have a keyword with outstanding results or even bad ones, and instead of separating that keyword into another group with the same ad, just changing the Final URL, one could simply ad the different url to that keyword. Everything would stay the same apart for the URL, it makes your management more easily. There're other cases, you just, specially more related to tracking and dynamic parameters on the URLs. You'll probably stumble on this idea eventually on the future Smiley Happy

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click