AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Different Ads or one ad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

Should I create different ads for Reduce Poverty/Solve Poverty/Eraticate Poverty or only one? I think it is better to create different ads as I would be able to increase their quality score. Nevertheless,  I am concerned they would compete against each other?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Different Ads or one ad?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Maryland,

To increase relevancy, it's important to break keywords into tightly-themed AdGroups. So you may want to place the above-mentioned keywords into separate adgroups, and create ads that closely related to those keywords. This should increase relevancy and CTR.

Hope this helps.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Maryland

If you are referring to different ads for different keywords, I would agree with Alexander S. Create several tight knit ad groups and this should help relevancy and QS. You can prevent these competing by controlling the KW match type - for example via exact will only display that exact KW.

If you are referring to different ads for a keyword, I would encourage you to test this by running different versions of the ad and rotating evenly. You may consider the results of each and optimise accordingly. To take this one step further, you may consider also testing Landing pages through Google Analytics experiments to see which LP converts best and optimise the whole journey.

Good luck with your cause

James

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

To me, it will depend a lot on the extent of budget freedom I have and on the size of target geographies given.

If there's budget constraint and target geography is smaller, I will put them all in single adgroup. Why?

Because, the terms eradicate, end, solve, reduce, fight etc. are semantically related if they are used with the term poverty. If ad copies are written intelligently and landing pages are optimized, ads' performance won't be confined in any way if these all are in the same ad group.

On the contrary, if they are separated into different ad groups, more efforts would be required to setup match types and negatives. A broad match or BMM will definitely not work much.  It will instigate an in-fighting among several keywords and you would see notices like - your ads are already being triggered for another keyword because of higher ad rank. The reason obviously is the fact that these terms are very much related semantically. 

Not just that, if the target geography is smaller, exact match keywords would restrict it even more and there would the fear of lesser search impressions to target. 

However, you have sufficient budget and larger geography, go with different ad groups, use exact or phrase matches, and make sure to use embedded negatives. 

My two cents. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Alexander,

Thank you very much for your reply! Your information is really helpful.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi James,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ratan,