AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Difference between search network and display network?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What's the difference and why is it important?

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Difference between search network and display network?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello ohiorick,

The search network is a group of Google powered search engines where your ads are eligible to appear, Google being the primary search engine but others such AOL being included within the group. Ads are triggered on the search results pages of these search engines whenever a user searches on terms based on your included keywords.

The display network consists of thousands of websites using Google AdSense which gives you the opportunity for your ads to be displayed on these external websites. Your ads can either be triggered automatically based on the keyword themes within your ad groups or you can also choose to select individual sites using managed placements.

The importance of them depends on your marketing goals, the search network can be used for a very targeted sales approach for example while the display network is ideal for building a brand across a very large reach. If you have specific questions then please ask them.

Kind regards,

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

In addition to ScottyD's great advice - here are some ref links on both networks for more details:

Display Network: http://www.google.com/ads/displaynetwork/

Search Network: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=90956

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello ohiorick,

The search network is a group of Google powered search engines where your ads are eligible to appear, Google being the primary search engine but others such AOL being included within the group. Ads are triggered on the search results pages of these search engines whenever a user searches on terms based on your included keywords.

The display network consists of thousands of websites using Google AdSense which gives you the opportunity for your ads to be displayed on these external websites. Your ads can either be triggered automatically based on the keyword themes within your ad groups or you can also choose to select individual sites using managed placements.

The importance of them depends on your marketing goals, the search network can be used for a very targeted sales approach for example while the display network is ideal for building a brand across a very large reach. If you have specific questions then please ask them.

Kind regards,

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

In addition to ScottyD's great advice - here are some ref links on both networks for more details:

Display Network: http://www.google.com/ads/displaynetwork/

Search Network: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=90956

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hmmm.  Seems like ohiorick and I have been chasing down a lot of the same issues lately.  I swear we are not the same person!  Anyway, I just need a little clarification on something.

I'm looking at my AdWords results from yesterday in my Analytics account.  Am I correct in assuming that the traffic that Analytics is telling me is from Content on the Ad Distribution Network is what shows up as originating from the Google Display Network when I look at Campaign performance in AdWords?

Thanks,

Rick

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

That sounds about right, Rick. Wouldn't it be nice if Google used the same names for services in all their product documentation?

In a nutshell, the Search Network is most like direct mail, delivering messages to individuals based on a search query. People here are most often looking for a particular service or product (shopping).

The Display Network is more like a direct response ad in a magazine. People are on the web site for the site's content. The ads are incidental, a bit like a billboard on the highway. Those billboard advertisers don't really expect you to pull over on the highway to call them on the phone. The purpose is mostly branding (name recognition).

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is an article that will explain the basic differences between search and display from a performance point of view. Hope this helps.

http://internetmarketinghaven.com/search-vs-display-5-things-you-need-to-consider

Dave,

www.internetmarketinghaven.com