AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Difference between exact match and phrase match search volumes

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys

I have been using Google Adwords for a while to do keyword research and see how many people are actively searching for a subject online.

Since the change over to Keyword Planner we have lost the function to get search volumes for phrase/broad match keywords, so obviously search volumes have massively decreased.

My question is do we know how much higher (on average) search volumes are likely to be for phrase match keywords compared to exact match? As these numbers look incredibly low when pulling together proposals/reports for clients.

Can anyone help????

Thanks,

Lucy

Re: Difference between exact match and phrase match search volumes

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Lucy,  

I think This will Hep you  

How to Find the Exact , broad & Phrase Match option in Keyword Planner Screenshot:

exact match in keyword planner - where.png  

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2999770?hl=en

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
When you go to keyword planner, the second option will also gives you an idea, that at how much impression and click will you get in all three match type on your desired monthly budget.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Sudhanshu

Thank you for this but I don't currently have this option on my adwords, could you please explain to me how you got it?

I used to and it didn't alter the search volumes. After ringing Google Adwords helpline they said they no longer offer search volumes for phrase or broad match - just exact. Which is confusing as they used to offer this functionality and I think it was very useful

Thanks,
Lucy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Lucy,

Sorry My tardy reply have you seen any pencile mark on the right side this will give you an option to check the match typr but it gives you the idea of cost and click it doesn't effecting on search volume. but if you click on modify search it give you an option of " get search volume for list of keyword.........." try this option it will ask you to give a budget and bid for your search query of all match type and gives you a general idea of traffic for a month and spend as well.

Hope this help you.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi lucy,

i think you haven't got the solution as you have asked. I saw this option in the tool that's why i told you but when i checked it on the tool it doesn't change the search volume for the keywords match type.It gives search volume for exact term why is it so because it is difficult to segregate any word or search query in different match type. for example why team effort is better than individual effort because each person have different way to search a particular tearm like i want to search "car rental" to hire a car while you can search as a "renat car" some other search "cheap car rental" so its difficult to separte cheap car rental as a phrase because might be a user want to hire a car that he/she can hire in less or say in affordable price. for that user it is exactly what he want. So what google do is it divide search term into match type so that you can get more traffic because you have limited thought on particular thing.

What i want to suggest you that collect all the keywords which you have, related to your client business and put it into keyword planner and you will get an idea of search volume and tell him that he/she can get lumpsum this amount of searches on mothly basis and this will be your lumpsum budget and cost.

I hope this will help you.