Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Difference between display ads and Image ads

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I need to know the difference between an Image ad and Display ads ( Created through ad gallery). What are their advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Difference between display ads and Image ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

As such both are used for the same terminology. However as per my understanding Display ads is a broader term used for all your image ads, moving flash based ads etc....

Image ads could be related to static images related ads which you can upload and use for advertising purpose.

You can also use the ad gallery to create various types of display ads using pre defined templates: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/156868?hl=en

Here are some of the tips for creating effective Display ads: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722134?hl=en

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Pankaj,

What does "same terminology" means in following line :

"As such both are used for the same terminology".

and image ads are also created for display networks only? Which one is better for remarketing display campaign?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Sometimes Google will also drop text ads into display slots - so you can also have text only ads in your display campaign...

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Coupon A,

With respect to what Pankaj was saying. An image ad is a display as but a display ad is not an image ad. In other words an image ad is a type of display ad, so the terms are used interchangeably in some cases.

I believe he was just referring to this. Display ads refer to a number of different types of ads, image, Flash, gif etc.

have a look here for all your information on image ads:
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176108?hl=en

To answer your question, or more specifically to adress your question. It is not easy to say which format is the best, as it all depends on your goals for your specific campaigns as well as the vertical you are advertising on.

It may be beneficial to use simple image ads on one vertical as it will stand out from all the flash based ads that competitors are using, or you may have a campaign built around this.

It may also just be more benificial for a small client to simply use text ads on the display network do to costing restrictions in creation of those ads.

In essences, there is no correct answer until you understand what your goals are and what the competition is doing on the vertical.

Feel free to ask any other questions

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello,

Coupon A wrote:
Hi Pankaj,

What does "same terminology" means in following line :

"As such both are used for the same terminology".

and image ads are also created for display networks only? Which one is better for remarketing display campaign?

I meant that Image and Display ads actually refer to somewhat similar formats in general sense (not technically).

For Remarketing, you should be testing different ad formats (be it regular image ad or flash based or other format display ads) and see how they impact your audiences who have already visited your website in the past.

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Firstly Thanks to all of you for your answers.

As all of you said Image ads are one of various types of display ads. Now my question is I have created a 300*600 image ad but when i try to upload it with Ad gallery then these dimension does not match to any of the ad dimensions that can be created through ad gallery. Why so?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
hey Coupon A,

The ad creation tool for banners has been implemented as a helpful tool to get advertisers started on creating banner ads without the necessary experience.As such they have limited the banner sizes to some of the most popular sizes and sizes that will not distort images found on the url you scan to create the ad (one of the options).

There are 15 different sizes that you can upload, but not as many you can create. 300*600 is a large image, called a half page ad. Think of most pictures uploaded to the ad creatoe would not be of sufficicient quality to expand to this size and remain under 150kb.

The ad creator is a tool for advertisers with little to no knowledge of banner ad creation nor the resources to pay for them to be made. So these considerations need to be taken into account when making the tool.