AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Difference b/w variations of a broad match modifier keyword.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys, reaching out for your help. I've been confused about the difference between variations of a broad match modifier keyword, for example, "hot and cold +water +dispenser for +home" and "+water +dispenser for +home hot and cold". In my viewpoint, they are the same. However, talking to one of my colleagues who has years in SEO and AdWords, he said that they are still different, Google will base on the order of the words to decide which one is closest to the search query. I was not so convinced. Please help me figure it out.
Thanks,
Ngoc

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there,

My understanding is that the order makes no difference across different accounts, but within the same account Google will use the one which fits the keyword order best, as they are otherwise the same.

So if you really wanted to run both, it would do no harm, and one could get a higher CTR than the other. But when you pause the other, CTR would normalise.

I advise to just run one, otherwise it becomes more difficult to manage, and data is fractured.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there,

My understanding is that the order makes no difference across different accounts, but within the same account Google will use the one which fits the keyword order best, as they are otherwise the same.

So if you really wanted to run both, it would do no harm, and one could get a higher CTR than the other. But when you pause the other, CTR would normalise.

I advise to just run one, otherwise it becomes more difficult to manage, and data is fractured.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Rob for your reply,

I've got it clear now. Yes I also prefer using just 1 variation which is easier for management.

Cheers,

Ngoc

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Ngoc,

As a side note, I would suggest reading this help center article which will guide you how the broad modifiers actually work and what are the best practices to implement them:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497702

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj, thanks for your reply! Yeah i know what broad match modifiers are and how they work, my question was about different variations of a broad match modifier with different orders of components. 

Thanks,

Ngoc

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Using BMM if you want to ensure that the query contains a term, you add a +. 

'+hot +cold +water +dispenser +home' With BMM the order of the terms does not matter. Any query containing all five of those terms will trigger an ad for any query with those terms in any order.

Because broad match is so broad (nowadays) words like 'and' or 'for' are unnecessary. In phrase or exact match, once the modifiers are nullified, then there may be some difference. However, the query is so restricted with five BMM terms as a single targeting method (kw) already, you may not get any volume from more restrictive match types. 

SEO is something different entirely. That perspective doesn't apply to AdWords. You are not trying to create unique pieces of content or image tags for each term, hoping that in aggregate you may get some free traffic from somewhere. When it comes to AdWords, the KW's you should be using, are the ones your customers tell you they actually search for in the search terms report. That's where your money is going, regardless of which kw's you use for targeting.

Tom

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

@RobSkelton is absolutely right .

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tom for your reply.

I've got it clear that the order of words doesn't matter in a BMM term, and we should target 1 variation of BMM which contains the key components instead of using multiple variations of different word orders (as suggested by Rob above). However, regarding search terms report, many of keywords have low search volume and low impression if we target exact and phrase match of those search terms. Also, many of them were generated by targeted BMMs. I'm not really sure if they should be our main focus? What do you think about this?

Thanks,

Ngoc