star_border

Diacritics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm starting a campaign in Romanian, a language which has diacritics - 

Ă ă Â â Î î Ț ț Ș ș

I'm working with a Romanian translator who said that most Romanians search in Google WITHOUT using the special characters, i.e. usually use regular English letters. 

My question is - should I create TWO versions of each keyword (with/without diacritics), or will only one version consisting of regular English letters will suffice?

Thanks in advance to all the repliers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author or123
September 2015

Re: Diacritics

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

You should use both keywords if you use phrase or exact keywords, because the system can diferentiate between them and they will have different performance.

It is explained here :

http://certifiedknowledge.org/blog/does-adwords-differentiate-keywords-by-capitalization-underscores...

"While upper versus lower case usage has never been used to differentiate keywords, diacritics has been questionable at times. Is saké the same as sake? The answer is yes, they are different words; and if you are using exact or phrase match – you should add them both. "  

However you are right, volume of searches is significantly lower for search terms using diacritics. You can look these words up in the keyword planner.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author or123
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

You should use both keywords if you use phrase or exact keywords, because the system can diferentiate between them and they will have different performance.

It is explained here :

http://certifiedknowledge.org/blog/does-adwords-differentiate-keywords-by-capitalization-underscores...

"While upper versus lower case usage has never been used to differentiate keywords, diacritics has been questionable at times. Is saké the same as sake? The answer is yes, they are different words; and if you are using exact or phrase match – you should add them both. "  

However you are right, volume of searches is significantly lower for search terms using diacritics. You can look these words up in the keyword planner.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Adrian. I'll do as you suggested and use both search words. Thanks!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello again,

After some more reading from the updated documentation I came across this fragment, with more clear information to support my above idea that the two keywords (one with diacritics, one without) should behave differently and have different search volumes :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453980?hl=en

words-with-symbols-are-two-keywords.png