2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Device Segmentation for Bid to Position

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Let's say an advertiser wants to be in position 1 on a mobile phone device and between positions 2-3 for all other devices.

Couldn't I segment out Campaign by device by doing the following:

• Set-up one Mobile Phone targeted Campaign toggling "mobile preferred device"
  • Set-up another Dashboard/Tablets Campaign essentially blocking mobile views for ads by doing enhanced bids at -100% for mobile.

Wouldn't this device segmenting method work as long as I DON'T utilize optimize to CPA which is blind to device types?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Device Segmentation for Bid to Position

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Media Ice,
Yes, you could do it your way, but I think a simpler way would be to use the Bid Adjustments (Multipliers).
If you're trying to be in position 1 on a mobile device, and in positions 2-3 on other devices, I suggest you set up and use AdWords Bid Multipliers - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132?hl=en

Via Bid Adjustments (Multipliers) you can bid for desktop for positions 2-3, and then add a Bid Adjustment for mobile devices. This will help save you time vs creating separate Campaigns.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

Just adding some more info to a great answer by @vkore91, u can bid up to +300% for mobile devices by Bid Multiplier Option. For e.g. in order to achieve a position between 2-3 for other devices your bid is $1, then you can bid up to $4 (by increasing the bid to +300%)for mobile devices by Bid Multiplier. Bid Multiplier works on percentage basis and it will add that percentage to current bid which you set.

Abhishek

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I guess my only issue with the way you suggest is that you're dealing with percentages so it may not be as precise. I'd wonder with the way you suggest if you said bid up if mobile device by 300% if you would be bidding a lot higher to get to position one than if you were to use my set-up and apply a automated bid rule to get the keyword to position 1.

So to put a finer point on it - with the way I lay it out you can apply automated rules to the campaigns more specifically. So you could have an automated bid up or down rule applied uniquely to the Dashboard/Tablet Campaign based on avg position of keywords within that device-type campaign. Regardless I think your answer is probably just as good as mine.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Just want to clarify something on your scenario. If my mobile bid goes up to $4 it doesn't actually mean the bid will be at $4 it means it will just be higher than whatever the highest competitor bid is. So if competitor bid is at $3.50 my bid will be at $3.51 or something. OR if I have the max CPC set at $3.99 then no matter how high I make the bid % increase it can go only as high as my max CPC.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Th core problem here is that you cannot exclude desktop and tablet traffic - it doesn't matter if you select the mobile preferred option for ads - they can still appear on other devices.

and the bid adjustment is only possible for mobiles - the desktop/tablet bid (and these cannot be separated which creates a problem when their average cpc's are very different) is the "base" bid or referecne bid against which the mobile bid adjustment is calculated.

Dropping the desktop bid and then applying the 300% adjustment for mobiles is the best workaround there is - and it's not great in some circumstances....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
vkore91 Do you have to manually bid down your campaigns if desktop avg position starts to go above 2? I don't believe there is a way to set-up automation for this because it would effect all devices and we don't want to bid down on mobile if it's above 2.

BTW everyone - thanks for you input on this it's very helpful!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Media Ice
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Media Ice,
Correct, unfortunately you'd have to manually bid down your Campaigns if your desktop Average Position starts to creep up. You could create an Automated Rule to automatically decrease CPC bids if your Position is 2 or higher, but then you'd have to go in an manually increase your Bid Multiplier on Mobile Devices to make sure you're still achieving your desired position there.
However, as long as your Bid Multipler is on the strong side, if you did it this way, I doubt you'd have to go in there every time your CPCs decrease. I know it's not ideal, but might be easier than managing two separate Campaigns.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Media Ice
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The best way I managed to obtain traffic mostly from mobiles and to achieve targeted positions was to separate campaigns because mobile traffic is completely different on the same keyword. I couldn't find one rule to fix all problems.

1 campaign with desktop bid and -100% on mobiles

1 campaign with desktop bid even below the minimum first page bid ( a metric reported only for desktops) and the +300% increase for mobiles.

The traffic from the "mobile setup campaign" was not steady and I received a lot of Desktop traffic even at a bid of 2 cents for some keywords, when the minimum "first page bid" was 30 cents. But at least for the mobile segment the bid was 8 cents for a desktop bid of 2 cents and I was interested in the mobile campaign only about the avg. pos. in the mobile segment for each of the keywords.