Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Device Bid adjustments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I made some bid adjustments based on device type (mobile +10%, tablet +15%), but conversions for these two devices went down. Can someone explain to me why conversions are lower than before after raising bid? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Device Bid adjustments

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi there,

Why do think that raising your bid would improve conversions? 

Every ad has its sweet spot, the position where you get the best cost per conversion. In my experience it is most often #3 or #4 for generic terms, #1 for brand and #1 for mobile. But there is no rule.

Google recommends raising bids when there is a good CPA, which makes sense from Google's angle. 

Raising bids means less clicks from your budget. If the conversion rate stays the same, that means less conversions.

If you have a lot of traffic and conversions, I suggest having separate campaigns for each device, and modifying bids manually. Find the sweet spot for each keyword and stay there. However this is laborious and using bid modifiers is more time efficient.

Device Bid adjustments

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

I think @RobSkelton may have identified your issue. If you raised the bids and you are paying more for clicks, with the same budget, your click volume will decline. Assuming the conversion rate remains constant, then conversion volume would decline as well.

Tom

Device Bid adjustments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Thanks you for reply, it's very helpful.

I understand sweet spot thing, but I didn't get this "Raising bids means less clicks from your budget. If the conversion rate stays the same, that means less conversions."

Could you explain that a little more? 

Device Bid adjustments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. I get what you are saying, but I'm still confused about how to decide what % bid adjustment should I make..

Say my budget is $10/day, desktop conversion rate is 10%, mobile is 5%, tablet is 7%, what kind of adjustments should I make for mobile and tablet? 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RobSkelton (Rising Star)
February 2017

Device Bid adjustments

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

You are now spending more of your budget on devices that don't convert (as well as desktops). With a limited budget, you can only afford so many clicks. If you spend more on clicks that don't convert, then you run out of budget before you can get any clicks that do convert for those devices. If you spend 10% more on clicks for mobile devices, with a limited budget, then you will get 10% fewer clicks. If the conversion rate doesn't improve, you will get 10% fewer conversions.

If I had a $10/day budget to work with, and desktop devices convert at the highest rate, then I would set the bid adjustment for mobile and tablet devices at -100%. If you don't have enough budget to cover 100% of the potential impression share for the best converting devices, then you don't have enough budget to spread out over devices that don't convert as well. You are losing 30-50% of your possible conversions by including mobile and tablet devices as is. Assuming all other factors are equal.

Tom