AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Details of a Conversion - Associate Adwords data with the contact data.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My company run ads on Adwords for quite a while now.

We provide a special kind of Construction Services.

Since our solution is very complex, some people dont quite understand what we are offering but convert into a contact anyway. This happens because:

1. They dont read the FAQ, neither the website content.
  2. They are just collecting quotes for a service they need, and just Copy + Paste their question on our Contact Form.
  3. Our service name is very hard to target correctly since the keyword is kind of "open to interpretation" and has a bunch of meanings.

I could exemplify with the keyword but i dont know the exact translation to english.

Thing is, i could be more specific with my keywords to target better, but that would drive traffic away.

For instance:

I offer a product, Industrial Grade Waterdrinker.

It differs alot from the simple one - it is big, robust, offers more cold water, are meant for more people to use, but it still is a waterdrinker.

I dont offer those office Waterdrinkers / waterfontains, the small ones.

I offer the ones for 300 people, targeted to big factories, like i said before.

Thing is, people dont look for Industrial Waterdrinker.

They look for WaterDrinker and thats it.

70% of the traffic is looking for the small ones.

30% is looking for the ones i offer.

I could try to filter it with the content of my Ad, but guess what, it seems like some people dont read, they just click.

BTW: Thats just a example.

Anyway, we receive a bunch of Contacts. I can track conversions on AdWords and Analytics, i can see wich campaings, keywords, placements, etc are perfoming well, are converting well, but here is what i really need:

I need to know where THAT GUY that wrote that stupid question came from.

I need to be able to associate AdWords data with the E-mails i receive trough the Contact Form.

I need to be able to, at the end of the month, collect those 1.000 contacts from my CRM wich are classified as "bad contact" and check where they came from. I could for instance find out that a specific placement in Display Network simply suck, i get conversions, but those conversions are bad. Or maybe a specific keyword simply dont work, people always mistake that for something else.

I need to be able to look at this very good contact that came in and trace it back to exactly what campaign originated it, what keyword, what search term, etc.

At my disposal i have, of course, AdWords resources - i looked everywhere i could not find how to do it with Adwords only.

I also have a CodeIgniter / PHP Website. Maybe there is a way to read AdWords / Analytics cookies.

I also have knoledge to mess up with the Adwords API, in case that helps.

Any help welcome.

Sorry for my english - not my first language.

Best regards.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ddutra
September 2015

Re: Details of a Conversion - Associate Adwords data with the contact data.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

If you need the detail then do it with the parameters...

example:

website(.)com?campaign="campaign_name"&adgroup="adgroup_name"&keyword={keyword}&network={network}

See the value track document here: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375447

Then you would need to modify your CRM of course.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

can you try tagging your destination URL's and have your CRM modified to include a column of data that equals the parameter i.e. ?source="adwords"   or somehow pickup the GCLID parameter that is set when you use the autotagging feature in adwords?  I have not done it with the GCLID but there might be a way to have the CRM modified to identify and capture that.  If you go with the Parameter methos you could set a parameter for the campaign / adgroup / etc.

Maybe some others will have some ideas too.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Kim,

Thank you for your anwser.

I will study the option about tagging the destination Urls.

About the gclid - What good would that do when there is no way to decode gclid into usefull information (AFAIK).

Best regards and thanks again.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If I was following you correctly (you want to be able to associated leads to AdWords) not as in "we got 100 leads" but this lead here on my desk is from adwords) then I was thinking if you can identify any incoming traffic that converts to have a GCLID parameter you would know that is AdWords.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Kim,

Thank you for anwsering.

@Kim_Clink wrote:

If I was following you correctly (you want to be able to associated leads to AdWords) not as in "we got 100 leads" but this lead here on my desk is from adwords) 

not as in "we got 100 leads" but this lead here on my desk is from adwords, and it came from Campaign X, Ad Group Y, Keyword Z, or Placement in Display Network M. Even search term O.

BTW: Search term is easy to get using other techniques - problem is Adwords details.

Then i would be able to go further.

This Search Term with exact match ranks well, converts well, but guess what, the leads sucks.

So its not simply about setting a lead as "It came from Adwords" and "It came from elsewhere". I guess GCLID would be no of no use in that situation.

Any ideias?

Best regards Smiley Wink

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ddutra
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

If you need the detail then do it with the parameters...

example:

website(.)com?campaign="campaign_name"&adgroup="adgroup_name"&keyword={keyword}&network={network}

See the value track document here: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375447

Then you would need to modify your CRM of course.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thats it.

I feel kind of silly now, hehehe. It was there all the time, and perfectly documented.

Best regards and thanks!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi ddutra,

The trick to this is you need to capture the query string data and the referrer data (for actual search term) when the user first hits your site. If your contact form is on the landing page, it's a bit easier to do.

What I do is set a cookie on the browser when it first hits our website. I use manual tagging to identify the campaign and ad group and the keyword. If the visit is from a search, the serch term will be in the referrer data, so I capture that also. I also save most of this data with the form submission in my db. My conversion action is not on the landing page, so the browser needs to carry this data around until the conversion actually happens. This allows me to go back and see the keywords and search terms associated with each conversion.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Did anybody stumble over something similar, from Google AdWords?

Must not store Personally Identifiable Information (PII) in Google Analytics, nor correlate data from Google Analytics with Personally Identifiable data in 3rd party systems. [http://www.google.com/analytics/apps/policy]

Because if that's the case, then one is not allowed to take data from AdWords and correlate it in 3rd party systems. Hopefully though, this is not the case.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

My above post stems from the fact that I had in mind pretty much the same solution Pete has provided, but with a {random} valuetrack parameter which would have been stored both in Google Analytics as a unique identifier, in a cookie, and submitted in the form, and towards the CRM. In which case the whole information would have been in Analytics, neatly segmented by that random identifier.

However, Analytics' policy does not allow that.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.