Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Description line length

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have a limit of 35 characters for each of the two description lines in my advert which is what I thought the general limit was. However my competitor has two description lines with 70 characters in each line, for example:

My competitor:

PC Repairs Centre - syn-pc.co.uk‎
Adwww.syn-pc.co.uk/‎  01730 352030
Repairs On Nearly All PC Faults Fixed Price - Call Today To Book In
Fixed Costs, No Surprises · Unlimited Engineer Time · Repair Guarantee
Contact Us - Support - Repairs - Products
7 The Square, Petersfield, Hampshire

A screen capture:

screen capture

So how is it possible that they have two description lines of 70 characters? I called the support number and they were very vague saying they would look into it but could not give me any further updates as it's not my advert.

I'm concerned here it's not a level playing field.

Re: Description line length

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
This is called callout extension, check it out here:-
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6079510?hl=en

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Stephen H,

That is not the case here. If you look at the first line of the ad that you have highlighted, This is their description line 1 and 2, running on one line (35+35 = 70)

The second highlighted line is actually an extension, called Call out extension. The tell tale indicator is the dots between the 3 pieces of information. each call out has a character limit of 25 (25+25+25 = 75).
Learn more here:
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6084196?hl=en

Hope this helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ah ok thnks for the answers, think I need to add that as well then Smiley Happy Is it free?

Just a quick question on extensions, is there a way to make them always appear in the adverts, you see my advert at the top of the screen shot has no extensions visible. Yet sometimes it appears with the link extensions and the address one?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Stephen,

Adding the call out extension does not cost you anything but you will be charged as usual for a click on your ad. Some extensions are 'free clicks'.

Learn all about extensions here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375499?hl=en#work

To answer your question directly:
There is no way to guarantee that your ad will show extensions. They are dependant on whether or not Google believes it will enhance your ad positively and if your ad rank is high enough. You can have a very high percentage of your ads showing extensions in some cases but there is no guarantee.

Good Luck

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great thanks for the very helpfull replies, I'll get going updating my ads. Much appriciated!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Glad I could help