AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Description Line 1 - Full Sentence But Won't Appear in Headline?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

One of my ads has been written with the intention of having the 1st description line appear as part of my ad's extended headline. This line forms a complete sentence and ends with an exclamation point. But when I use the ad preview tool, I can never get this ad to appear formatted in this fashion. Only my website is shown as part of the extended headline. Am I able to contact Google and have them review my ad and mark line 1 as a full sentence? Does my adrank or bid amount influence this feature (aside from the obvious that this feature is only for top spots)? Aside from rewriting the ad, is there any way to solve this problem? I feel like this is somehow a glitch and am even considering deleting my adgroup and then recreating it, although I'd prefer not to.

Thanks for the advice.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex K
September 2015

Re: Description Line 1 - Full Sentence But Won't Appear in Headline?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Deepak, I think I figured it out. After playing around with several ads, it appears that if you begin "description line 1" using predominantly the same wording as found in your headline - the most common example would be like starting line 1 description by simply repeating your headline - even if you finish this line in a complete sentence using appropriate punctuation, Google will not allow your line 1 description to ever appear as an extended headline. This seems to be the reason why my ad did not appear as I wanted.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Alex,

When the longer headline feature was rolled out, the proper punctuation was described as a period or question mark.

http://adwords.blogspot.in/2011/02/longer-headlines-for-select-ads-on.html

As you are using exclamation point, that can be a reason why the system is not considering it as a complete sentence.

But there were instances when the 'system, considered sentences without proper punctuation as complete sentences (refer the earlier thread below)

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Advanced-Features/Long-Ad-titles-in-the-first-position/td-p/...

So try duplicating your ad and use a period for exclamation mark. May be that will work.

My 2 cents

Deepak
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex K
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Deepak, I think I figured it out. After playing around with several ads, it appears that if you begin "description line 1" using predominantly the same wording as found in your headline - the most common example would be like starting line 1 description by simply repeating your headline - even if you finish this line in a complete sentence using appropriate punctuation, Google will not allow your line 1 description to ever appear as an extended headline. This seems to be the reason why my ad did not appear as I wanted.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Good find Alex! Will help others with the same issue.

Cheers!

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Hi Alex, would you please explain it again!

Thanks.