Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Demographics ?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

when using the Display Planner I can look for keywords and I get results to some demographic data.

so far I can see Age, Gender and Device.

Is it also possibel to get demographics about education and annual salary ?

If so, where to find and how can I use them ?

Thank you very much for every little help, I really appreciate that !

Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Demographics ?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Bernhard,

Thank you for your posting. At this time, the only demographics information shown in in Display Planner is as you have already described: Age, Gender and Device. If we add any future demographics fields, you can usually find them announced on our Inside Adwords blog here: http://adwords.blogspot.com/ 

However you may want to see if Google Analytics offers these demographic features. Feel free to post your question on the Google Analytics community forum here: http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/analytics

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello ;

Adwords does not offer to target by areas based on median / average income or education level.
What you could do is get this data from the "US Bureau of Statistics" , and target  zip codes manually.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Now you can get this demographic data from a Facebook campaign - their new advertising platform (yet to be rolled out here in Europe) - allows targeting down to the model of their BMW. Income level, job description, hobbies, you name it, it's targetable.

If you refine your campaigns to speak to that audience on Facebook, you'll be able to transfer it to Adwords and be able to reverse-engineer it into a display network campaign. Plus you'll have Facebook's feedback on their other interests too - which is fantastic for choosing where to put your ads on Google's GDN.

You get the targeting from Facebook and the breadth of coverage from the GDN.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Gemma, 

If you want to advertise facebook Ads in here , are you sure that "Income level, job description, hobbies" are among their targeting options ?

This is a quote from their FAQ :

"You can choose the location, gender, age, likes and interests, relationship status, workplace and education of your target audience. If you are the admin of a Facebook Page, event or app, you can also target your ad to people who are already connected to you."

The job description is not the same as the workplace and the hobbies are not the same as interests. GDN has interest targeting too.

So how is the GDN different from facebook and why spending twice, and how to target facebook visitors even if they are segmented, back to AdWords ?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I think the problem here is that you're reading what Facebook are telling you about their algorithm.

If you reckon to be able to advertise to people owning a Mercedes 550SL, it's more than likely to be able to advertise to those who like making jam at home. Facebook's use of words is of necessity, limited by their need to be brief and to the point. Please do not mistake that for a limitation in their platform.

The point isn't to spend your money twice, it's to broaden your advertising abilities, and be able to use the ideas generated in your GDN campaigns to better effect.